1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra 2 Conceptual Questions (Vector spaces)

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1
    Alrighty then :smile:

I am working through Axler's LA Done Right. I have 2 questions for now:

1.) He uses some notation that is confusing me. When referring to [itex]\mathbf{R} \text{ or }\mathbf{C}[/itex] as a set it is in BOLD but when he refers to a vector space as being the set V, it is not in boldface. Why?

2.) I am also a little confused by part of the definition of a Vector Space.

Def: A vector space is a set V along with an addition on V and a scalar multiplication on V such
    that the following properties hold: commutativity, associativity, ...etc.

(Here is where I get confused)

Can someone clarify what he means by a vector space over F or over R and how that is different from just saying a vector space?

He never actually says what this means.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A vector space over F means that the 'scalars' are elements of F. So a vector space over R means that the scalars are real numbers. You can also have a complex vector space, where the scalars are complex numbers. In general, F can be any field, which is type of set, of which the real and complex numbers the most familiar examples.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. Jul 3, 2009 #3
    So if we were to just say that V is a vector space, does that automatically imply over all of F?

Also: dx, do you know why F, C, and R are in boldface whereas V is not?

5. Jul 3, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sometimes we can just say V is a vector space if it is understood from the context what the field F is. There's no such thing as a vector space "over all of F". You must always say what F is. For example, you may say F = R if you want a real vector space, or F = C if you want a complex vector space.

I don't think there's any particular reason.

6. Jul 3, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's possible the author is using different typesets to separate sets from vector spaces. So a plain set or a field would be boldfaced, whereas a vector space, which is actually a quadruple - a set, a field, and a multiplication and addition function - is not boldfaced. Don't try to look too deeply into the difference between a vector space and the set of elements that make up a vector space since it's just likely to make your brain hurt without gaining any real insight at the moment

7. Jul 3, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks to me like the author is using bold face for fields as distinguished from the vector spaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook