1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra and volume of rotational object

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Linear algebra and volume of rotational object

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to show that V(O) = pi * int[f(z)^2]dx when O = {(x,y,z) E R^3 | a =< z =< b, sqrt(x^2+y^2) =< f(z)}.

I have to integrate 3 times with different limits:

V(O) = int [dz, a..b] * int[dr, 0 .. f(z)] * int[dTheta * r, 0..2pi].

Why is it the integral looks like this? I believe it should look like

int[ int [ int [ dr * dTheta * ds]]] with limits as above.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have a< z< b, with a and b constants, so the "outer integral" would be with respect to z, from a to b, in order to cover the entire figure. For each z, you have [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}< f(z)[/itex]. Taking [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex], that is the same as r< f(z). Since r (in polar coordinates) cannot be less than 0, the limits of integration with respect to r must be from 0 to f(z) (and the differential is rdr). Finally, there is no limit on [itex]\theta[/itex] so the limits on [itex]\theta[/itex] must be from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], the entire circle. That volume is given by
    [tex]\int_{z=a}^{b} \int_{r= 0}^{f(x)} \int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} f(z) (d\theta)(rdr)(dz)[/tex]
    It should be easy to see that gives the result you want.

As for the formula you give, I see no difference except that you have replaced "z" with "s"- without saying what "s" is.

4. Dec 1, 2007 #3
    Why is r^2 = x^2+y^2? And isn't this cylindrical coordinates?

Thanks for your help so far!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?