1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - coordinates.

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    Can anyone explain exactly how you are supposed to apply coodinates in matrices? I am somewhat lost in class.

For example say, i have the coordinates A =
    1 2
    0 2 --> this is a 2 X 2 matrix

and I have to apply this to the basis

B =
    1 0
    0 0,

0 1
    0 0,

0 1
    0 1

-> The book gives the following matrix as the answer:

1 0 0
    0 1 1
    0 0 1

- But I still don't get how they got here. Can anyone outline the process?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I have no idea what you are talking about. (And I thought I knew a little about Linear Algebra!) I have never heard of "applying coordinates" to matrices, nor do I see how you are going from 2 by 2 matrices to a 3 by 3 matrix. Could you state the problem exactly as it is given?

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    I am sorry, this is supposed to be a change of basis problem. We are changing B to basis A.

Can you help?

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    we are trying to find the change of basis matrix.

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From what basis to what basis? And what space? The matrices you list as a basis are NOT a basis for M4, because there are only 3 of them.

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6
    from B to A. Please help me. The question asks for the change of basis matrix.

No other info is given.

8. Mar 29, 2008 #7
    Please help me brothers.

9. Mar 29, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Honestly, the problem, as you stated it, still makes no sense to me. You have given us 3 matrices which you say is a basis (of what space? The space of all 2 by 2 matrices is 4 dimensional so it can't have a basis of 3 matrices) and ask for a "change of basis matrix". What is the basis to change to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?