1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Dimension of Kernel

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that U and V are finite-dimensional vector spaces and that S is in L(V, W), T is in L(U, V). Prove that

dim[Ker(ST)] <= dim[Ker(S)] + dim[Ker(T)]

2. Relevant equations
    (*) dim[Ker(S)] = dim(U) - dim[Im(T)]
    (**) dim[Ker(T)] = dim(V) - dim[Im(S)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that ST is in L(U, W), so dim[Ker(ST)] = dim(U) - dim[Im(ST)]. So now I need to show:

dim(U) - dim[Im(ST)] <= dim(U) + dim(V) - dim[Im(T)] - dim[Im(S)]

But that just boils down to showing that dim[Im(ST)] is greater than dim[Im(T)] + dim[Im(S)]. It seems like I didn't really get anywhere. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you and rjw5002 taking the same course? My response to his identical question is here:
  4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    We must be taking the same course. It's the second course in Linear Algebra at Penn State. I read your post where you said the following:

So I understand how you show that T is a subspace of Ker(ST), but what do you mean by "in order that STv=0, must be in the null space of T. That is, v is in T-1(null space of V)."? I'm not really sure what this is saying.
  5. Feb 15, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did I say that? Of course, that's a typo. If Tv is such that S(Tv)= 0, then Tv is in the null space of S. So that v itself is in T-1(null space of S).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?