Linear algebra proof and vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a set of vectors in Rn is contained in another set, then the span of the first set is also contained in the span of the second set. It also mentions that if Rn is equal to the span of the first set, then it is also equal to the span of the second set. This can be visualized in R3 as shown in the provided images.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

a) Prove that if u1, ... um are vectors in Rn , S = {u1,u2,...uk} and T = {u1,...uk, uk+1,...um} then span(S) [tex]\subseteq[/tex]span(T).

b) deduce also that if Rn = span(S), then Rn=span(T)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got part a:

the span S is represented by linear combination c1u1 + c2u2 + ... ckuk
and the span T is represented by the linear combination
c1u1 + c2u2 + ... ckuk +... cmum
and since span(S) is contained in span(T)

span(S)[tex]\subseteq[/tex]span(T)

Does this look alright?

b) part b is giving me trouble

since span(S) = Rn, the entire set of linear combinations of the vectors {u1,u2,...uk} in set S forms a plane.

since span(S) is a subset of (T) which spans Rn,
span(T) = Rn.

I don't feel like this right at all, and I really can't visualize in my head what's going on here. Could somebody please help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
for b)
We know span(T) contains R^n.
How do we know it can not contain anything else?

Algebraically you are on the right track. Just remember these definitions:
1) Span(u1, u2, ..., ui) = {a1u1 + a2u2 + ... + aiui | a1, a2, ..., ai in R}

2) A is a subset of B if every x in A is also in B.

3) Sets A and B are equal if A is a subset of B and B is a subset of A.

For some intuition, it may be helpful to consider what this looks like in R3. Here are some pictures:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1087/spanliner3.png

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8680/spanplaner3.png

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9002/spanblockr3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a vector in linear algebra?

A vector in linear algebra is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How are vectors represented in linear algebra?

Vectors can be represented in linear algebra in a variety of ways, including as a column or row of numbers, as a tuple, or as a point in space. The most common representation is as a column vector, where the elements are listed vertically.

3. What is a linear combination of vectors?

A linear combination of vectors is a mathematical expression that combines two or more vectors by multiplying each vector by a scalar (a real number) and then adding the results together. For example, the linear combination 2x + 3y is formed by multiplying the vector x by 2 and the vector y by 3, and then adding the two resulting vectors together.

4. How is linear independence of vectors determined?

In linear algebra, vectors are considered linearly independent if none of them can be written as a linear combination of the others. This means that no vector in the set is redundant and each vector contributes a unique direction to the set.

5. What is a linear algebra proof?

A linear algebra proof is a formal and logical argument that uses the principles and rules of linear algebra to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem. It often involves manipulating vectors and matrices using algebraic operations and properties to arrive at a conclusion.