Linear algebra: Prove that the set is a subspace

In summary: I,A,A^2,...\}?I don't agree with your explanation of the dimension and basis of U. Column vectors (in this case) are ##3x1## matrices. You're claiming that you can generate a whole space of 3x3 matrices with linear combinations of 3x1 matrices. The basis that you are claiming is not even a subset of U.
gruba

Homework Statement

Let [itex]U[/itex] is the set of all commuting matrices with matrix [itex]A= \begin{bmatrix}
2 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 1 \\
3 & 0 & 4 \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]. Prove that [itex]U[/itex] is the subspace of [itex]\mathbb{M_{3\times 3}}[/itex] (space of matrices [itex]3\times 3[/itex]). Check if it contains [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]. Find the dimension and a basis for [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex].

Homework Equations

-Commuting matrices
-Subspaces
-Vector space span
Basis and dimension

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]U[/itex] can be defined as [itex]U=\{B\in\mathbb{M_{3\times 3}}: AB=BA\}[/itex].

Letting [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix}
a & b & c \\
d & e & f \\
g & h & i \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex] and solving the equation [itex]AB=BA[/itex] gives [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix}
i-\frac{2}{3}g & 0 & \frac{1}{3}g \\
g-3f & i-3g & f \\
g & 0 & i \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex].

[itex]U[/itex] is a subspace of [itex]\mathbb{M_{3\times3}}[/itex] if [itex]\forall u_1,u_2\in U\Rightarrow u_1+u_2\in U,\forall t\in\mathbb{R}\Rightarrow tu_1\in U[/itex] which is correct.

It is easy to check that if [itex]C\in span\{I,A,A^2,...\}\Rightarrow C\in U[/itex]:
Linear combination for C is
[itex]C=c_0I+c_1A+c_2A^2+...\Rightarrow CA=AC\Rightarrow C\in U[/itex]

[itex]U[/itex] has the dimension [itex]3[/itex] and a basis are column vectors of identity matrix [itex]3\times 3[/itex].

How to find the dimension and a basis for [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
gruba said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]U[/itex] is the set of all commuting matrices with matrix [itex]A= \begin{bmatrix}
2 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 1 \\
3 & 0 & 4 \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]. Prove that [itex]U[/itex] is the subspace of [itex]\mathbb{M_{3\times 3}}[/itex] (space of matrices [itex]3\times 3[/itex]). Check if it contains [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]. Find the dimension and a basis for [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex].

Homework Equations

-Commuting matrices
-Subspaces
-Vector space span
Basis and dimension

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]U[/itex] can be defined as [itex]U=\{B\in\mathbb{M_{3\times 3}}: AB=BA\}[/itex].

Letting [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix}
a & b & c \\
d & e & f \\
g & h & i \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex] and solving the equation [itex]AB=BA[/itex] gives [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix}
i-\frac{2}{3}g & 0 & \frac{1}{3}g \\
g-3f & i-3g & f \\
g & 0 & i \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex].

[itex]U[/itex] is a subspace of [itex]\mathbb{M_{3\times3}}[/itex] if [itex]\forall u_1,u_2\in U\Rightarrow u_1+u_2\in U,\forall t\in\mathbb{R}\Rightarrow tu_1\in U[/itex] which is correct.

It is easy to check that if [itex]C\in span\{I,A,A^2,...\}\Rightarrow C\in U[/itex]:
Linear combination for C is
[itex]C=c_0I+c_1A+c_2A^2+...\Rightarrow CA=AC\Rightarrow C\in U[/itex]

[itex]U[/itex] has the dimension [itex]3[/itex] and a basis are column vectors of identity matrix [itex]3\times 3[/itex].

How to find the dimension and a basis for [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

What does it mean to be a basis?

I don't agree with your explanation of the dimension and basis of U. Column vectors (in this case) are ##3x1## matrices. You're claiming that you can generate a whole space of 3x3 matrices with linear combinations of 3x1 matrices. The basis that you are claiming is not even a subset of U.

Also, how are you getting B?

Last edited:
I made a mistake in the statement for the dimension and a basis of [itex]U[/itex]. You could look at [itex]9\times 1[/itex] vectors.
But what is the way of algebraically finding a basis (dimension follows) of [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

Matrix [itex]B[/itex] can be reduced from [itex]9[/itex] to [itex]3[/itex] variables after solving the equation [itex]AB=BA[/itex] (too long to post).

gruba said:
I made a mistake in the statement for the dimension and a basis of [itex]U[/itex]. You could look at [itex]9\times 1[/itex] vectors.
Your basis has to be a set of 3x3 matrices.

But what is the way of algebraically finding a basis (dimension follows) of [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

Matrix [itex]B[/itex] can be reduced from [itex]9[/itex] to [itex]3[/itex] variables after solving the equation [itex]AB=BA[/itex] (too long to post).
That is fair, I'm just wondering the method you used.

You've (assuming your calculations are correct) found what matrices in the subspace U "look like". Can you write that matrix as a linear combination of other matrices? (I haven't verified, but it seems like the ##span\{I,A,A^2, \dots\}## would not have been given to you just to show that it was contained in U.

I think that it is not possible to form a linear combination on [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex] because this set is not finite - defined (you could arbitrarily choose that [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,A^3\}[/itex] - this would be finite set).

gruba said:
I think that it is not possible to form a linear combination on [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex] because this set is not finite - defined (you could arbitrarily choose that [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,A^3\}[/itex] - this would be finite set).
What can you say about the dimension of [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex]?

gruba said:
I don't follow what you are trying to say here.

I'm sorry, I must be missing something.

gruba said:
I think that it is not possible to form a linear combination on [itex]span\{I,A,A^2,...\}[/itex] because this set is not finite

(a) The space spanned by an infinite set can nevertheless be finite-dimensional; as a trivial example, consider [itex]\mathrm{span}\{ (x,0) : 0 < x \leq 1\}[/itex] which is just the one-dimensional subspace of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] spanned by (1,0).

(b) In this case, apply the Cayley-Hamilton theorem.

A linear combination on an infinite set is defined to be a linear combination on a finite subset so your objection in post 5 is not relevant.

1. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In other words, it is a subset of a vector space that is itself a vector space.

2. How do you prove that a set is a subspace?

To prove that a set is a subspace, you need to show that it satisfies the three properties mentioned earlier. This can be done by showing that the set contains the zero vector, is closed under vector addition, and is closed under scalar multiplication.

3. Can a subspace contain only one vector?

Yes, a subspace can contain only one vector. This is because the zero vector is always a part of a subspace, and any set containing only the zero vector satisfies the three properties of a subspace. However, in most cases, a subspace will contain more than one vector.

4. Can a subspace be a line or a plane?

Yes, a subspace can be a line or a plane. In fact, a line or a plane is a subspace if it passes through the origin and is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

5. Why is it important to prove that a set is a subspace?

Proving that a set is a subspace is important because it allows us to use the properties of a vector space to solve problems related to that set. It also helps us to understand the structure and behavior of vectors in that set, which is crucial in many areas of science and mathematics.