Linear Algebra Question: Finding T Matrix with Respect to A' and B' | Homework

I will post if I have any more questions.In summary, the conversation is about finding the matrix of a linear operator T with respect to two different bases, A and B, and another set of bases A' and B'. The key steps involve finding the transition matrix from A to A' and then combining it with the given matrix for T to get the desired matrix. This can be done by expressing the new basis vectors in terms of the old basis vectors and using a combination of multiplication and linear combinations. It is important to note that any vector in the original vector space can be represented as a linear combination of the basis vectors.
zeion

Homework Statement

Suppose the linear operator T on P1 over R has the matrix

3 -2
1 0

with respect to A = B = {1-x, x}. Find the matrix of T with respect to A' and B' = {2-x, 1}.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why there needs to be two different sets A and B if they are they same?
Need A'A (transition matrix from A to A'), so I write A with respect to A' and get
[1-x]A' = (1, -1)
[x]A' = (-1, 2)

Then A'A =
1 -1
-1 2

Then A'A[T]A = [T]A'
So
(1 -1) (3 -2) (2 -2)
(-1 2) (1 0) = (-1 2) = [T]A'

But it's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I deciphered your notation correctly, you have a linear operator [itex]T: P_1 \rightarrow P_1[/itex]. The matrix

[tex]T_{BA}=\begin{bmatrix}3 & -2\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

is T's representation where the domain is represented wrt basis A and the image is represented wrt basis B. The matrix

[tex]U_{A'A}=\begin{bmatrix}1 & -1 \\ -1 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

transforms a representation of a vector from the A basis to the A' basis, and what you calculated was

[tex]T_{BA}U_{A'A} = \begin{bmatrix}2 & -2 \\ -1 & 2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So you're sort of halfway there. What you need is the matrix [itex]U_{AA'}[/itex] that will transform a vector from the A' basis to the A basis, but what you found earlier was the matrix [itex]U_{A'A}[/itex] which goes in the other direction.

Let's say [itex]\vec{x}_{A'}[/itex] is the representation of vector [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] wrt the A' basis. When you multiply it by [itex]U_{AA'}[/itex], you get [itex]\vec{x}_A = U_{AA'}\vec{x}_{A'}[/itex], its representation wrt the A basis. Then you can multiply it by [itex]T_{BA}[/itex] to get [itex]T(\vec{x})[/itex] wrt to the B basis. Finally, you need to transform the answer from the B basis to the B' basis. In symbols, you're trying to find

[tex]T_{B'A'} = U_{B'B}T_{BA}U_{AA'}[/itex]

You've got most of the pieces. You just need to get a few more and put them all together.

Last edited:
I understand the rest of your post.. except for

" [tex]
T_{BA}=\begin{bmatrix}3 & -2\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

is T's representation where the domain is represented wrt basis A and the image is represented wrt basis B."

How did you get that from the question..?

Isn't that what the first sentence you wrote means? I could be wrong. I'm kind of guessing as to what exactly A and B are as you didn't explain the notation you're using.

Here's another way to do it. Write the "new" basis vectors, 2-x and 1, in terms of the "old" basis vectors, 1- x and x. That is, find numbers, a, b, c, d, such that 2- x= a(1-x)+ bx and 1= c(1- x)+ dx. Write those numbers as column matrices, [a b]T and [c d]T and multiply by the given matrix. Write the resulting matrices in terms of the "new" basis vectors. The coefficients will be the columns of the matrix in terms of the new basis vectors.

The idea is that A'x, where A' is the new matrix and x is a vector in terms of the new basis, is equal to CABx where B is convertion to the old basis, A is the original matrix, and C is convertion back to the new basis.

So when they say ".. has the matrix with respect to A = B = ..." that means it is a transition matrix from something wrt A to something wrt to B? How do I know its not from from B to A?

I think I understand the idea of combining multiple transition matrices, it's just the language of the question that confused me.

zeion said:
So when they say ".. has the matrix with respect to A = B = ..." that means it is a transition matrix from something wrt A to something wrt to B? How do I know its not from from B to A?

I think I understand the idea of combining multiple transition matrices, it's just the language of the question that confused me.
It could be from B to A. It depends on the notational conventions your class or textbook is using. It doesn't matter in this problem since A=B.

Okay.
What happens if I can't find a way to get one of the piece? Like if one of the components of the original cannot be represented with respect to the basis I'm trying to transform into?

If you have a basis A for a vector space, by definition, it spans the vector space, so any vector in that space, including all of the vectors in basis B, can be represented as a linear combination of the A basis vectors.

Okay thank you I think I get it now.

What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations, and their properties and operations.

What are the applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving linear systems, optimization, data analysis, and image processing, among others.

What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Other important concepts include determinants, rank, and orthogonality.

What are the key operations in Linear Algebra?

The key operations in Linear Algebra include addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication of vectors and matrices. Other important operations include matrix inversion, transpose, and vector dot and cross products.

How is Linear Algebra related to other branches of mathematics?

Linear Algebra is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and abstract algebra. It provides a foundation for these subjects and is often used in their applications. For example, linear algebra is used in solving systems of differential equations and in the study of abstract algebraic structures.