Linear Algebra - REF with another variable

In summary: No. Where did 15 come from?A bit more of a hint. Suppose that each of the following was the bottom row of your matrix:1) 0 0 0 | 52) 0 0 0 | 03) 0 0 1 | 2and that the 2nd and 3rd rows had leading entries of 1.For which of the above 3rd rows would we expect a) a unique solution, b) no solution, c) an infinite number of solutions?1) No solution2) Infinitely many solutions3) One unique solution
Schaus

Homework Statement

Determine the values of a for which the following system of linear equations has no solutions, a unique solution, or infinitely many solutions. You can select 'always', 'never', 'a = ', or 'a ≠', then specify a value or comma-separated list of values.
x1−2x2+2x3 = −1
−3x1+ax2−10x3 = 5
x1+x2−4x3 = 3

Homework Equations

Augmented Matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

1 -2 2 -1
-3 a -10 5
1 1 -4 3
I switched the row with the variable to the bottom.
1 -2 2 -1
1 1 -4 3
-3 a -10 5
I minused Row 1 from Row 2
1 -2 2 -1
0 3 -6 5
-3 a -10 5
3Row 1 + Row 3
1 -2 2 -1
0 3 -6 5
0 (a-6) -4 2
Here is where I get confused. I don't know how to get the 3 in row 2 to equal 1 and get the (a-6) to equal 0.
Any advice as to where I went wrong or what I need to do next would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's begin with the augmented matrix:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & -2 & 2 & -1 \\ -3 & a & -10 & 5 \\ 1 & 1 & -4 & 3 \end{array}\right]##

You switched the 2nd and 3rd rows:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & -2 & 2 & -1 \\1 & 1 & -4 & 3 \\ -3 & a & -10 & 5\end{array}\right]##

Next, you performed ##R_2-R_1##:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & -2 & 2 & -1 \\0 & 3 & -6 & 4 \\ -3 & a & -10 & 5\end{array}\right]##

Note: I have corrected an arithmetic error. Next, you performed ##3R_1+R_3##:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & -2 & 2 & -1 \\0 & 3 & -6 & 4 \\ 0 & a-6 & -4 & 2\end{array}\right]##

What can we multiply the second row by to get the 3 to be a 1?

Schaus said:
Here is where I get confused. I don't know how to get the 3 in row 2 to equal 1
Divide that row by 3.

Use the determinant! When ##\text{det}[\mathbf{A}]=0## there will be no unique solution.

Let's take FactChecker's advice and perform ##\dfrac{1}{3}R_2##:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & -2 & 2 & -1 \\0 & 1 & -2 & \frac{4}{3} \\ 0 & a-6 & -4 & 2\end{array}\right]##

Now, obviously, we need to perform ##2R_2+R_1##:

##\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 0 & -2 & \frac{5}{3} \\0 & 1 & -2 & \frac{4}{3} \\ 0 & a-6 & -4 & 2\end{array}\right]##

Now, we need to perform ##x\cdot R_2+R_3## such that:

##x\cdot1+(a-6)=0##

What is ##x##, and what do you get after performing the operation?

So I take (a+6)R2-R3?

1 0 -2 ----------- 5/3
0 1 -2 ------------ 4/3
0 0 (-2a-16) -------- ((4/3)a+10)

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been very busy with school.

Schaus said:
So I take (a+6)R2-R3?

1 0 -2 ----------- 5/3
0 1 -2 ------------ 4/3
0 0 (-2a-16) -------- ((4/3)a+10)
No, that won't work. In column 2, (a + 6) * 1 - (a - 6) ##\neq## 0.
Schaus said:
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been very busy with school.

So I should have multiplied by -(a-6)?
-(a-6)R2+R3

1 0 -2 ----------- 5/3
0 1 -2 ------------ 4/3
0 0 (2a-16) -------- ((4/3)a-6)

Schaus said:
So I should have multiplied by -(a-6)?
-(a-6)R2+R3

1 0 -2 ----------- 5/3
0 1 -2 ------------ 4/3
0 0 (2a-16) -------- ((4/3)a-6)
Yes, assuming that your work leading up to this last matrix is correct (I didn't check).
Now, for what value(s) of a will there be a unique solution, no solution, or an infinite number of solutions?

2a-16 = ((4/3)a-6)
a=15
No solution = Never
Unique solution ---- a≠15
Infinitely many solutions--- a=15?

Schaus said:
2a-16 = ((4/3)a-6)
a=15
No solution = Never
Unique solution ---- a≠15
Infinitely many solutions--- a=15?
No. Where did 15 come from?

A bit more of a hint. Suppose that each of the following was the bottom row of your augmented matrix:
1) 0 0 0 | 5
2) 0 0 0 | 0
3) 0 0 1 | 2
and that the 2nd and 3rd rows had leading entries of 1.

For which of the above 3rd rows would we expect a) a unique solution, b) no solution, c) an infinite number of solutions?

1) No solution
2) Infinitely many solutions
3) One unique solution

I got the a=15 by making 2a-16 = (4/3a-6)

Schaus said:
1) No solution
2) Infinitely many solutions
3) One unique solution
Yes to all of the above.
Schaus said:
I got the a=15 by making 2a-16 = (4/3a-6)
That seems like a reasonable thing to do, but it's not. You're not solving the equation 2a - 16 = (4/3)a - 6. Instead, you're trying to make the coefficient of z (what I'm calling the 3rd variable) equal to 1.

In other words, the bottom row of your matrix corresponds to the equation (2a - 16)z = (4/3)a - 6. What do you need to do to turn this into 1z = <something>? In particular, are there any values of a that will cause problems?

1. What is a REF with another variable in linear algebra?

A REF (Row Echelon Form) with another variable is a specific form of a matrix where the leading coefficient of each row is equal to 1, and all other entries in that column are equal to 0. The "another variable" refers to a variable that is not in the original set of variables in the system of equations, but is added to make the matrix easier to manipulate and solve.

2. Why is it useful to use a REF with another variable?

Using a REF with another variable allows for easier and more efficient solving of systems of equations. By adding an extra variable, we can perform row operations to transform the matrix into a simpler form, making it easier to identify solutions or determine if the system is inconsistent or dependent.

3. How do you create a REF with another variable?

To create a REF with another variable, we first need to add an extra column to the original matrix. Then, we use row operations such as swapping rows, multiplying rows by a constant, or adding/subtracting rows to transform the matrix into the desired form. The goal is to have all leading coefficients equal to 1 and all other entries in the same column equal to 0.

4. Can we use a REF with another variable to solve any system of equations?

Yes, a REF with another variable can be used to solve any system of equations. However, it may not always be necessary to use this method, as some systems may be easier to solve using other techniques such as substitution or elimination.

5. Are there any limitations to using a REF with another variable?

The main limitation to using a REF with another variable is that the matrix must be square (same number of rows and columns) in order for it to be solvable. Additionally, if the leading coefficient in a row is 0, we cannot use row operations to transform it into a REF with another variable form. In these cases, a different method would need to be used to solve the system of equations.