1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - set of solutions

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    Hello,

Is it true that the following system of linear equations would always have a single solution (i.e. would never have an infinite number of solutions nor none) for any value of λ?

λx + 3y -z = 1
    x + 2y -z = 2
    -λx + y + 2z = -1

May someone kindly confirm?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How did you conclude that? What did you try?

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Via a series of elementary operations I got:
    lambda*x +7y = 1
    (1/2)x + y -(1/2)z = 1
    4y + z = 0

So, rank of the matrix is equal to the number of columns, 3, is it not? Wouldn't that always have a solution, for any lambda that is?

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4
    Alas, I am still experiencing difficulties trying to find the values of lambda for which number of solutions of the system of equations is: (i) 1; (ii) infinite; (iii) 0
    Having substituted the equations into a matrix and performed a series of elementary operations on the rows, I have found out that there is a single solution for lambda different than 3 and 7/6. However, when lambda is 3 the system still has a single solution, hence a contradiction!
    What am I doing wrong? I have tried various row operations several times, and each time upon substitution of those values for lambda (for which it couldn't possibly have a single solution) the system still has a single solution!
    Would anyone please help with this?

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For some values of λ the determinant of the coefficient matrix vanishes. What does that tell you?

RGV

7. Nov 11, 2012 #6
    We haven't dealt with determinants so I wouldn't know, and even if I did I am not permitted to use employ any knowledge thereof. Could you please just tell me what it is I might be doing wrong? For hours I have tried reducing the matrix and each time the lambda's I got for which the number of solutions would be one, ended up, upon substitution, yielding a solution! So I am pretty stuck and would appreciate some more practical guidance, please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook