Linear algebra - set of solutions

In summary, the conversation is about a system of linear equations and whether it would always have a single solution for any value of λ. The speaker tries to solve the equations using elementary operations and concludes that the rank of the matrix is equal to the number of columns, which would mean there is always a solution for any lambda. However, someone mentions that for some values of λ, the determinant of the coefficient matrix vanishes, which could affect the number of solutions. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed and asks for practical guidance.
peripatein
Hello,

Is it true that the following system of linear equations would always have a single solution (i.e. would never have an infinite number of solutions nor none) for any value of λ?

λx + 3y -z = 1
x + 2y -z = 2
-λx + y + 2z = -1

May someone kindly confirm?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you conclude that? What did you try?

Via a series of elementary operations I got:
lambda*x +7y = 1
(1/2)x + y -(1/2)z = 1
4y + z = 0

So, rank of the matrix is equal to the number of columns, 3, is it not? Wouldn't that always have a solution, for any lambda that is?

Alas, I am still experiencing difficulties trying to find the values of lambda for which number of solutions of the system of equations is: (i) 1; (ii) infinite; (iii) 0
Having substituted the equations into a matrix and performed a series of elementary operations on the rows, I have found out that there is a single solution for lambda different than 3 and 7/6. However, when lambda is 3 the system still has a single solution, hence a contradiction!
What am I doing wrong? I have tried various row operations several times, and each time upon substitution of those values for lambda (for which it couldn't possibly have a single solution) the system still has a single solution!
Would anyone please help with this?

peripatein said:
Via a series of elementary operations I got:
lambda*x +7y = 1
(1/2)x + y -(1/2)z = 1
4y + z = 0

So, rank of the matrix is equal to the number of columns, 3, is it not? Wouldn't that always have a solution, for any lambda that is?

For some values of λ the determinant of the coefficient matrix vanishes. What does that tell you?

RGV

We haven't dealt with determinants so I wouldn't know, and even if I did I am not permitted to use employ any knowledge thereof. Could you please just tell me what it is I might be doing wrong? For hours I have tried reducing the matrix and each time the lambda's I got for which the number of solutions would be one, ended up, upon substitution, yielding a solution! So I am pretty stuck and would appreciate some more practical guidance, please.

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or the product of a constant and a single variable. It can be written in the form ax + by = c, where a and b are coefficients and x and y are variables.

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more linear equations with the same variables. The solution set for a system of linear equations is the set of points that satisfy all of the equations in the system, meaning they make all of the equations true.

What does it mean for a system of linear equations to have a unique solution?

A system of linear equations has a unique solution when the solution set consists of a single point. This means that there is only one point that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

How can you determine if a system of linear equations has no solution?

If a system of linear equations has no solution, it means that the equations are inconsistent and do not have a common point of intersection. This can be determined by graphing the equations and seeing if they intersect at any point. If they do not intersect, then the system has no solution.

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the vectors. In other words, a linear transformation takes in a vector as input and outputs another vector that is a scaled or rotated version of the original vector.