Linear algebra: Solution space

In summary, the solution space of Ax = b has a dimension of 2 and a basis of [{-1, 1, 1, 0}, {2, -2, 0, 1}].
_Bd_

Homework Statement

Find a basis for, and the dimension of, th esolution space of Ax = b

A=[1 3 -2 4]
[0 1 -1 0]
[-2 -6 4 8]

Homework Equations

Allowed to use calculator

The Attempt at a Solution

getting the RRE form yields:
[1 0 1 0]
[0 1 -1 0]
[0 0 0 1]
which means its a rank 3 matrix (since there are no dependent vectors. . .right?)
the nullity for a mxn matrix is n-r . . .so 4 - 3 = 1. . .that would be the nullity . . .which from what I see in the book is the same as the dimension?
it says:
If A is an m x n matrix of rank r, then the dimension of the solution space of Ax = 0 is n- r. That is
n = rank(A) + nullity(A)

so then using the RREf and setting up a system of equations I get
x_1 + 0 + x_3 + 0 = 0
0 + x_2 - x_3 + 0 = 0
0 + 0 + 0 + x_4 = 0

so then x_4 = 0 | x_3 = t = x_2 and x_1 = -t
so then my basis would be [-1, 1, 1, 0]
my dimension would be: 1

. . .the back of the book says the following:
dimension = 2
basis:
{[-1, 1, 1, 0], [ 2, -2, 0, 1]}

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your approach is correct, but you have made a small error in your calculations. The dimension of the solution space is equal to the nullity, which is indeed the number of free variables (or parameters) in the system of equations. In this case, there are two free variables (t and s) so the dimension is 2, and the basis would be the two corresponding vectors: [-1, 1, 1, 0] and [2, -2, 0, 1].

Your mistake was in setting x_3 = t = x_2, which would actually give you only one free variable, and therefore a dimension of 1. Instead, you should have set x_2 = s and x_3 = t, which would give you two free variables and a dimension of 2.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

FAQ: Linear algebra: Solution space

What is a solution space in linear algebra?

A solution space in linear algebra refers to the set of all possible solutions to a system of linear equations. This space can be visualized as a geometric object in the vector space, with each point representing a different solution to the system.

How is a solution space determined?

A solution space is determined by the coefficients and constants in a system of linear equations. These values dictate the number of solutions, if any, and the dimensionality of the solution space.

Can a solution space have multiple dimensions?

Yes, a solution space can have multiple dimensions. This means that the system of linear equations has more than one independent variable, and the solution space will be a higher-dimensional geometric object, such as a plane or a hyperplane.

What is the relationship between a solution space and the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is a subset of the solution space. It refers to all the vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in the zero vector. In other words, the null space contains all the solutions to the homogeneous version of the system of linear equations.

How can a basis for a solution space be found?

A basis for a solution space can be found by solving the system of linear equations and expressing the solutions in terms of free variables. These free variables then form the basis for the solution space, and any solutions can be written as linear combinations of these basis vectors.