1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra: spanning

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is : Let S = [ (1,-1,3) , (-1,3, -7) , (2,1,0) ]. Do the vectors u = (5,1,3) and v = (2,3,6) belong to span(S)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So span means that I could take linear combinations of u and v and they should end up giving (1,-1,3) , (-1,3,-7) and (2,1,0). Right?

I could take x [5 1 3 ] + y [ 2 3 6 ] = [1 -1 3] or [-1 3 -7 ] or [2 1 0 ] (btw i meant to write [ 5 1 3] as a column matrix but I am not sure of how to using Latex. So anyway, is what I am trying to do correct? Is that what it means for the vectors to span S?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it's the other way around.

Span(S) is the set of all linear combinations of the vectors in S. u is in Span(S) if there are constants a, b, and c for which a(1, -1, 3) + b(-1, 3, -7) + c(2, 1, 0) = u.

Similarly for v.

4. Oct 25, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Put your vectors from S into matrix form, augmenting them with either u or v ( You'll have to do both at some point so pick one at a time ).

Solve the corresponding system and check if the following system is linearly independent or dependent.

If the system is dependent for your choice of u or v, then you can conclude that the vector is not in the span of your set. Otherwise if your system is independent, you can exhibit a unique solution for your system implying that your vector IS in the span of your set.

5. Oct 25, 2012 #4
    Ahh I see thanks

Yes, it works out...thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook