Linear Algebra- Vector proof

In summary: Therefore, u is perpendicular to (sv+tw). So, in summary, if a vector u is perpendicular to both v and w, then u is also perpendicular to v+w. This can be generalized to show that u is perpendicular to (sv+tw) for all scalars s and t.
sdoyle

Homework Statement

Prove that if a vector u, is perpendicular to both v and w, then u is also perpendicular to v+w. More generally, show that u (perp) (sv+tw) for all scalars s and t.

Homework Equations

I was thinking that the cross product would be relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure where to start. I tried to use w[-wy, wx] and so forth, but I honestly don't understand their full meanings. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you ought to be thinking about the dot product. How do you express the notion two vectors are perpendicular in terms of the dot product?

If u is perpendicular to v and w, then v and w should lie on the same plane, correct? Thus if v+w, is also perpendicular to u, then what can you say about the vectors, v,u and v+w ?

EDIT: I believe Dick's method is more feasible than what I was trying to do.

that u.(v+w)=0?

Right. u.(v+w)=0 says u and v+w are perpendicular. Does that follow from u.v=0 and u.w=0?

Yes? Because both v and w would have to be perpendicular to u? I'm not really sure though...

The problem says "u is perpendicular to both v and w". That means u.v=0 and u.w=0. What can you conclude about u.(v+w) and why?

I really don't know.. I'm sorry. I don't think that I have enough background knowledge, we've only had one lecture.

Write out u.v + u.w and u.(v+w)

u.v=-u.w? Because of distributive laws?

sdoyle said:

By the distributive laws, can you expand u.(v+w)?

You should be able to see that u.v + u.w = u.(v+w) just by writing out the terms on each side

sdoyle said:

No. Because of distributive law u.(v+w)=u.v+u.w. Doesn't that look more like a 'distributive law'?

right...

but we know that u.(v+w)=0 . Wouldn't that imply that u.v+u.w=0?

sdoyle said:

Actually, you knew that u.(v+w)=u.v + u.w, from the question, you deduced that u.v=0 and u.w=0
So u.(v+w)=0, which means?

that the vector u is perpendicular to v+w?

sdoyle said:
that the vector u is perpendicular to v+w?

Yes.

Now you want to prove that u is perpendicular to (sv+tw) for all scalars s and t.

Now consider what u.(sv+tw) expands out to be.

sdoyle said:

You don't know u.(v+w)=0. That's what you are trying to prove. What you know is that u.v=0 and u.w=0.

right but u.(v+w)=u.v+u.w
=0+0
= 0
In terms of the scalars any number multiplied by zero will yield zero

1. What is a vector in linear algebra?

A vector in linear algebra is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an ordered list of numbers, also known as coordinates, in a specific coordinate system.

2. How do you add and subtract vectors?

In order to add or subtract vectors, you must first ensure that they have the same number of dimensions. You can then add or subtract the corresponding coordinates to obtain the resulting vector. For example, to add two 2-dimensional vectors (a,b) and (c,d), the resulting vector would be (a+c, b+d).

3. What is a scalar in linear algebra?

A scalar in linear algebra is a single number that is used to scale a vector. It can be either positive or negative and is multiplied by each coordinate of the vector to obtain the resulting vector.

4. How do you prove that two vectors are parallel?

In order to prove that two vectors are parallel, you must show that one vector is a scalar multiple of the other. This means that the coordinates of one vector are equal to the coordinates of the other vector multiplied by a constant value.

5. How do you prove that two vectors are perpendicular?

To prove that two vectors are perpendicular, you must show that their dot product is equal to zero. This means that the sum of the products of their corresponding coordinates is equal to zero.