1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear and projectile motion?

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is thrown downward from a tower 65.0 m tall. If the ball takes 1.30 seconds to hit the ground, what was its initial velocity?

The answer my teacher provides is 43.6 m/s, but I am having a problem reaching that answer.

2. Relevant equations
    Possibly Vi = Vf - aT? This is the equation I am trying to use, but the final velocity is not given, I don't think.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I tried Vi = 0 + 9.8 x 1.3, but obviously, it doesn't work. So whether there is information missing or I am using the wrong formula, I don't know. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The values you have are:

x - displacement - 65
    a - acceleration due to gravity - 9.8
    t - time - 1.3

All motion and acceleration is down, so I have made all values positive

You want vi

so you need the motion formula with out the final velocity. That is

x = vi.t + 0.5.a.t2

sub values into that and see how you go.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Thank you! That seem to have worked. (: I knew there was something wrong with the formula I was using.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

You should always identify those values you know, and the value(s) you want, to help in deciding which formula to use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook