1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear approximation and errors

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Linear approximation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Juan measures the circumference C of a spherical ball at 40cm and computes the ball's volume V. Estimate the maximum possible error in V if the error in C is as most 2cm. Recall that C=2(pi)r and V=(4/3)pi(r)

2. Relevant equations
    deltaf - f'(a)h, a= 40, V=(4/3)pi(C/2pi)^3

3. The attempt at a solution

im not sure exactly how to compute to find the final answer but i believe that a = 40cm + or - 2cm and that somehow solving for r using circumference and then plugging it into the volume equation. if you can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easiest way is to assume maximum error (plus, then minus). Then take the difference between the calculated volume and true volume.

Or you could try expressing V as a function of C.

4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    thanks, that actually helps me a lot.

5. Oct 23, 2007 #4
    after solving for the volume when the radius is (21/pi) which is a +2cm error i got the answer 1251.1cm^3. when i solved for the volume when the radius was (19/pi) a -2cm error i got 926.6cm^3. last i solved for the actual measured raius which was 40 and found the radius to be (20/pi) when i solved for this i got 1080.8. i then subtracted 926.6 (-2cm error) from this answer and got 154.2. when i subtracted 1080.8 from 1251.1 (+2cm error minus actual) i got the answer 170.3. I'm guessing this means that the maximum error is 170.3cm^3. can anyone verify this?

6. Oct 24, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

V=(4/3)pi(C/2pi)^3= C^3/(6pi^2) is exactly what you want. What is the derivative of V with respect to C?

7. Oct 24, 2007 #6
    4pi(c/2pi)^2

8. Oct 24, 2007 #7
    i think i finally got the answer to be 324.22pi by plugging in 40 to the above equation for C and then multipliing by delta x which in this case is 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?