1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Combinatio

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We know that B = { (1, -1, 2, 5) , (2,-3,-1,6) } is a basis of H.

Express v as a linear combination of b(one) and b(two)

v = (0,2,-6,8)
    b(one) = (1,-1,2,5)
    b(two) = (2,-3,-1,6)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

is it just

v = tb(one) + pb(two)

where t , p are parameters
    Do i need to solve for t and p?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2
    The second part of the question is:
    Fine the co-ordinate vector [v] of v relative to the basis B

and I don't have a clue how to do this. Do i need to kno what's the linear transformation?
  4. Nov 29, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the first part of the equation, you do the algebra!
    You want t(1, -1, 2, 5)+ p(2, -3, -1, 6)= (0,2,-6,8) . That is,
    (2p- t, -t-3p, 2t- p, 5t+ 6p)= (0, 2, -6, 8). Solve for t and p.

That is, of course, 4 equations for 2 values, p and t. The given basis vectors span a 2 dimensional subspace of R4. IF the given (0, 2, -6, 8) is in that subspace then this problem will have an answer.

The "coordinate vector of v relative to the basis B" is just the vector with those two numbers (p, t).
  5. Nov 29, 2007 #4
    Yea i've tried solving for the variables p and t, and it doesnt work out. When I try solving it by augmented coefficient matrix and reducing it to row echelon form, I get a row of zeros and then a number ( [ 0 0 | # ] )
    Then i tried solving it using the TI-83+, and I get an "Invalid Dim" error
  6. Nov 30, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if you have copied the numbers correctly, then the problem is that v is not in the subspace, H, spanned by the two given basis vectors! The four equations you get trying to "fit" it in are t+ 2p= 0, -t- 3p= 2, 2t-p= -6, 5t+ 6p= 8.
    From the first, t= -2p. Then the second becomes 2p- 3p= -p= 2 so p= -2 and then t= 4. Putting that into the third equation, 2t-p= 8+ 2= 10, not -6. Are you sure you haven't lost a sign somewhere? If that third equation were 2t+ p= 6 or -2t- p= -6, then it would work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?