1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Combinations and Span (Concept Question)

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]A[/itex] be an [itex] m \hspace{1 mm} x \hspace{1 mm} n [/itex] matrix, and let [itex] \vec{b} [/itex] be a vector in [itex] \mathbb{R}^{m} [/itex]. Suppose that [itex] \vec{b} [/itex] is a linear combination of the columns of A. Then the columns of A span [itex] \mathbb{R}^{m} [/itex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said that this statement was true using the following theorem from my textbook:
    Let [itex]A[/itex] be an [itex]m \hspace{1 mm}x \hspace{1 mm}n[/itex] matrix. Then the following statements are logically equivalent.
    a) For each [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{m}[/itex], the equation [itex]A \vec{x} = \vec{b} [/itex] has a solution
    b) Each [itex]\vec{b} [/itex] in [itex] \mathbb{R}^{m} [/itex] is a linear combination of the columns of A
    c) The columns of A span [itex]\mathbb{R}^{m}[/itex]
    d) A has a pivot position in every row
    However, my book says that this statement is false and I am not sure why. I think I am probably missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2
    In the statement, [itex]\vec{b} [/itex] is a particular vector, and not any arbitrary vector in [itex] \mathbb{R}^{m} [/itex]; that is to say, it is not necessarily true that any vector in [itex] \mathbb{R}^{m} [/itex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the columns of A.

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3
    ok, so I was wondering if this counter example would be a good way to verify that it is false? I picked an arbitrary matrix and an arbitrary vector:
    $$
    A =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 3\\
    1& 5\\
    2 &8
    \end{bmatrix}
    $$
    $$ \vec{b} =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    1\\
    \\5

\end{bmatrix} $$
    I reduced A and found that there is not a pivot in every row, so I said that the columns of A do not span [itex] \mathbb{R}^{m} [/itex]. Is this a sufficient counter example?

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure it meets the conditions of the original problem, which states that ##\vec{b}## is a linear combination of the columns of A. In any case, the condition for ##\vec{b}## seems to me to be something of a red herring. Your 3 x 2 matrix clearly (I hope) can't span R3, since there are only two columns.

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    You're right that my example doesn't meet the given conditions. However, if I were to find an example that does meet the required conditions using a 3x2 matrix, could I then use that counter example to prove that the statement is false? Basically I'm still a little confused about where to go here...

7. Mar 1, 2015 #6

Mark44

Yes, I believe so.

8. Mar 1, 2015 #7
    Awesome. I was thinking in this case it may be easier to use a matrix made up of stars and squares(like the kind used to determine echelon forms) rather than actually come up with a linear combination.

9. Mar 1, 2015 #8

Mark44

No, I would use a specific matrix.

10. Mar 1, 2015 #9
    Ok, thanks for the advice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted