Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear control system controllability

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Hello,

In a linear system of the form $$\dot{x}=Ax+Bu$$ and $$y=Cx$$ we can use state feedback control $$u=Kx$$ assuming we know the state, or can observe it, to control the system if (A,B) is controllable (all states are reachable).

How does the theory on controllability apply to output feedback? So that the feedback is not taken from the state of the system using an observer, but from the output.

If the original system (A,B) is not controllable, is it also true that no OUTPUT feedback law exists to control the system from any initial condition?

My initial reaction is that the system is controllable from neither the state feedback or output feedback methods. My basis for this assumption is that the theory of controllability is fundamentally based on the system (A,B), and is not developed from the starting point of any feedback. But I am unsure.

Sorry if my question is not well posed - any information appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

yes.

Think about it this way. the outputs are simply the C matrix multiplied by the states. If you cannot control what the states are, you cannot control what the output is. That means with feedback there is still no way you can control the output of all of the states.

note... you can still have partial control-ability and system level stability.

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Yes that makes sense, thankyou donpacino.

Yeah, in my problem I am noticing that I do not have system level stability, since the uncontrolled modes are not stable.

Thanks

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

no problemo

is this a real life problem, or a schoolwork/textbook problem. Is it purely theoretical or is there a real system?
    If you 'need' to solve this problem, you can look into modifying the system such that it is no longer uncontrolable

6. Sep 8, 2015 #5

FOIWATER

Gold Member

It is a problem I found on an old exam from a course that I am not taking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook