How to Solve Linear Differential Equations with Trigonometric Functions?

In summary, a linear differential equation is an equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, with the highest derivative being of the first degree. The general solution of a linear differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions and is expressed in terms of arbitrary constants. To solve a linear differential equation, one can use methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The order of a linear differential equation is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. These equations have various real-life applications, including modeling and predicting systems and processes in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
blondie1234
1. Find all real solutions: (dx/dt)-2x=cos(3t)

Homework Equations

3. I really don't know where to start here. Any advice to get me on my feet would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
blondie1234 said:
1. Find all real solutions: (dx/dt)-2x=cos(3t)

2. Homework Equations

3. I really don't know where to start here. Any advice to get me on my feet would be appreciated.
Try to find an integrating factor.

Related to How to Solve Linear Differential Equations with Trigonometric Functions?

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, with the highest derivative being of the first degree. It can be written in the form of y' = F(x,y), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and F is a function of x and y.

2. What is the general solution of a linear differential equation?

The general solution of a linear differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions to the equation. It is usually expressed in terms of one or more arbitrary constants, which can take on different values to represent different specific solutions.

3. How do you solve a linear differential equation?

To solve a linear differential equation, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and solve for it.

4. What is the order of a linear differential equation?

The order of a linear differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order linear differential equation would have a first derivative, while a second-order linear differential equation would have a second derivative.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear differential equations?

Linear differential equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict various systems and processes. Examples include describing the growth of a population, the motion of a pendulum, and the flow of electricity in a circuit.