Linear Impulse - Jackhamer Rebounds

In summary, the problem involves a jack hammer developing a force on a concrete surface, resulting in a triangle-shaped graph with a peak force of 90 lbs. A 2lb spike is fired into the surface at 200ft/s and the goal is to determine the speed of the spike after rebounding. Using the equation mv + ∫ Fdt=mv, the impulse is calculated to be 80.1 N-s, which is used to find the return momentum and velocity of the spike. The answer may vary depending on the units used in the problem.
joemama69

Homework Statement

During Operation the jack hammer develops on the concrete surface develops a force @ t=0 f=0, @ t=.2, F=90, @ t=.4, F=0. Graph looks like a triangle
To achieve this the 2lb spike S, is fired from rest into the surface @ 200ft/s. Determine the speed of the spike just after rebounding

Homework Equations

mv + E Fdt=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it seems to me that the initial velocity is 0, and the final is 200ft. How do i know the rebound velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
impulse = F *(change in T)

impulse = mv

mv=F *(change in T)

joemama69 said:

Homework Statement

During Operation the jack hammer develops on the concrete surface develops a force @ t=0 f=0, @ t=.2, F=90, @ t=.4, F=0. Graph looks like a triangle
To achieve this the 2lb spike S, is fired from rest into the surface @ 200ft/s. Determine the speed of the spike just after rebounding

Homework Equations

mv + E Fdt=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it seems to me that the initial velocity is 0, and the final is 200ft. How do i know the rebound velocity.

First of all convert to SI units before things get out of whack.
200 f/s = 60.96 m/s
90 lbs force = 400.5 N
2 lbs = .907 kg

Now what is your impulse?

Δmv = F*Δt

But your time varies according to the graph. So your total impulse is the area under the function of Force(t) that they give you.

With total Impulse then you have your Δmv.

It is still not clicking

mass .907

is my initial velocity from rest, or is 60.96

My force is 400500 N at its peak,

i do not understand which t's to use.

Just curious how is your force so high? Are there units to your problem that you haven't supplied? Is the peak force 90lbs or some other value? Your original statement doesn't really say.

90 lbs force = 400.5 N

the Forve is 10^3 N = 400500 N

joemama69 said:
90 lbs force = 400.5 N

the Forve is 10^3 N = 400500 N

And where does the multiplier come in?

Don't they give you the force as 90 already at t = .2 sec?

Because it looks to me like the area under the Force as a function of time that they give, is the area of a triangle, over the range of t = 0 to t = .4.
So ...

I = 1/2*(400.5 N) * .4sec = 80.1 N-s

That impulse is available to change the momentum of the .907 kg hammer.

Figure then the original momentum and subtract the impulse, and that should yield the return momentum and hence the return velocity shouldn't it?

Momentum = P

P=mv = .907*60.96 = 55.301

P-I = -24.799 <-- Pretty sure I'm wrong but I am going to keep going

Return Momentum = RP

RP = mv = -24.799 = .907v therefore v = -27.341 m/s

joemama69 said:
Momentum = P

P=mv = .907*60.96 = 55.301

P-I = -24.799 <-- Pretty sure I'm wrong but I am going to keep going

Return Momentum = RP

RP = mv = -24.799 = .907v therefore v = -27.341 m/s

You probably want to multiply by 3.281 to get back to feet / sec. don't you?

yes, i would, so i take it i am correct

Ok, one more question

For the graph, the units of force is 10^3 N

Which makes F = 400500 N

Do I use this number, it give a totaly different answer

I = 80100 N-s
P=55.301
V=-88234.17601 m/s

joemama69 said:
Ok, one more question

For the graph, the units of force is 10^3 N

Which makes F = 400500 N

Do I use this number, it give a totaly different answer

I = 80100 N-s
P=55.301
V=-88234.17601 m/s

Is there more to this problem than you have provided? Is there a mass to the jackhammer that is more than just 2 lb? Is there a cross section of the tip to consider? These numbers don't seem reasonable to me.

nope that's it

on the graph the yaxis is the force and the x-axis is t(ms)

am i correct based on the info i have provided

joemama69 said:
nope that's it

on the graph the yaxis is the force and the x-axis is t(ms)

am i correct based on the info i have provided

Oh and time is ms. Well that makes the difference. Your F at 103 and your time at 10-3 then effectively cancel in magnitude and yield the same thing as though you were calculating with 90 lbs and .4 sec. The earlier answer is what I got.

Is it correct? I guess your grader is the judge.

Related to Linear Impulse - Jackhamer Rebounds

What is linear impulse?

Linear impulse, also known as linear momentum, is a measure of the quantity of motion in a straight line. It is equal to the product of an object's mass and velocity.

How does a jackhammer rebound?

A jackhammer rebounds due to the principle of conservation of energy. When the hammer strikes the surface, it transfers kinetic energy to the surface and rebounds due to the elastic potential energy stored in the hammer's spring.

What factors affect the rebound of a jackhammer?

The rebound of a jackhammer is affected by the material and hardness of the surface it is striking, the weight and design of the hammer, and the speed and force at which it strikes the surface.

How is linear impulse related to the rebound of a jackhammer?

The linear impulse of a jackhammer is directly related to its rebound. The greater the linear impulse, the greater the rebound force and height of the hammer. This is because a larger impulse results in a larger change in momentum and therefore a greater rebound.

Why is it important to understand linear impulse and jackhammer rebounds?

Understanding linear impulse and jackhammer rebounds is important for the safe and effective use of the tool. It allows for the selection of the appropriate hammer for a given task, as well as the proper techniques for using the hammer to achieve the desired results without causing harm to oneself or others.