1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Independence and Intersections of Sets

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let E' and E'' be linearly independent sets of vectors in V. Show that [itex]E' \cap E''[/itex] is linearly independent.

3. The attempt at a solutionTo show a contradiction, let [itex]E' \cap E''[/itex] be linearly dependent. Also let A be all of the vectors in [itex]E' \cap E''[/itex]. Thus, [itex]A \subseteq E'[/itex] and [itex]A \subseteq E''[/itex]. Because A is linearly dependent, there exists [itex]A_1,...,A_n[/itex] distinct vectors in A such that

[itex]a_1 A_1 + ... + a_n A_n = \vec0[/itex], where [itex]a_1,...,a_n[/itex] are not all zero. But if such a nontrivial linear combination of vectors in A exists, then E' must be linearly dependent since [itex]A \subseteq E'[/itex]. But this is contrary to our definition that E' is linearly independent. This is similarly contradictory for E''. Thus, it is shown that [itex]E' \cap E''[/itex] cannot be linearly dependent and must rather be linearly independent.

First of all, I don't know if this proof is correct (although it seems conceivable to me). Also, I didn't know how to prove the problem statement directly, so I had to do it by contradiction. If anyone could give me a hint as to how to do this directly, I would be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2
    Your proof seems to do the job, though I recommend you consider the case when [itex]E'\cap E''[/itex] is empty separately first.

If you have some theorems at your disposal then you can shorten up your proof considerably by simply noting that a non-empty subset of a linearly independent set is itself linearly independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook