1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear independence of basis vectors

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    How do I prove the linear independence of the standard basis vectors? My book is helpful by giving the definition of linear independence and a couple examples, but never once shows how to prove that they are linearly independent.
    I know that the list of standard basis vectors is linearly independent if:
    The only choice of a_1, a_2, ... a_m that makes a_1v_1+a_2v_2+...+a_mv_m=0 is a_1=a_2=...=a_m=0.
    But i don't know where to go from there .. any help would be appreciated :confused:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2
    Use contradiction. If they were linearly dependent, then by your definition, at least one of the vectors could be written as a linear combination of others. Is this true of the standard basis ?
  4. Nov 14, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

For example, in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3 [/itex], the standard basis is:

[tex]\left\{ {\left( {1,0,0} \right),\left( {0,1,0} \right),\left( {0,0,1} \right)} \right\}[/tex]

This basis is linearly independant if, as you say:

[tex]a\left( {1,0,0} \right) + b\left( {0,1,0} \right) + c\left( {0,0,1} \right) = \left( {0,0,0} \right)[/tex]

implies that [itex]a = b = c = 0[/itex].

Well, solve the condition for a, b and c and see if you can find anything else besides the solution we expect.
    Can you now see how it will be for [itex]\mathbb{R}^n [/itex] in general?
  5. Nov 14, 2005 #4
    Thank you so much .. it actually makes sense now .. Something about being out of school with a broken pelvis means that it's harder to understand what they do in class without you ... thanks!
  6. Nov 14, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

No problem :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?