Linear interpolation between two surfaces

In summary, the conversation is about creating an interpolated volume from two surfaces in order to estimate the temperature in a specific geographical area and at depth. The first surface represents the temperature of rocks at the surface, while the second surface represents the depth to the Curie temperature. The goal is to use linear interpolation to obtain a rough 3D temperature model of the area. The person is a beginner with MATLAB and is seeking help with this task.
GeoHamster
Hi, I'm trying to create an interpolated volume from two surfaces. Let me explain exactly what I'm doing.

I am trying to obtain a rough estimate for the temperature in a certain geographical area and at depth. I have the temperature of the rocks at the surface in the form T1=T(x,y,z) where z is the elevation above sea level at the surface and T is the temp (varying between 5°C and 20°C). I also have the depth to the Curie temp, obtained from spectral analysis of aeromagnetic data, as another surface, much deeper, in the form Tc=T(x,y,z), where Tc is a constant temperature (600°C) and z is the depth to this temperature (varying between -20km and -30km above sea level, but never folding over itself).

I want to take every T1(x0,y0,z1) location and interpolate vertically to the corresponding Tc(x0,y0,zc) point assuming a linear geothermal gradient ([Tc-T1]/[zc-z1]).

With this, I should be able to obtain a rough 3D temperature model of the area.

I am a beginner with MATLAB so any workflow using it is truly appreciated!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi GeoHamster
I am studying geophysics. I encountered a problem the same as yours 'Linear interpolation between two surfaces'. I need to generate two interfaces as 'isosurfaces', then apply vertical linear interpolation between them. I think it is exactly the same problem as you described in your post. As your post is for one year ago, and also no one answered it, did you find any solution to it?
I deeply appreciate your help and anyone else who can give me some clue. My need is emergency.
Thank you very much.

What is linear interpolation between two surfaces?

Linear interpolation between two surfaces is a mathematical technique used to estimate intermediate values between two known surfaces. It involves creating a straight line between the two known points and finding the value of the unknown point on that line.

How is linear interpolation between two surfaces calculated?

The calculation for linear interpolation between two surfaces involves finding the slope of the line connecting the two known points and using that slope to determine the value of the unknown point on the line. This can be done using the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

What are some applications of linear interpolation between two surfaces?

Linear interpolation between two surfaces is commonly used in computer graphics to create smooth transitions between two surfaces, such as in 3D modeling and animation. It is also used in data analysis and in engineering to estimate values between known data points.

What are the advantages of using linear interpolation between two surfaces?

One of the main advantages of linear interpolation between two surfaces is that it is a relatively simple and efficient method for estimating intermediate values. It also produces smooth and continuous results, making it useful for creating visual representations of data.

What are the limitations of linear interpolation between two surfaces?

Linear interpolation between two surfaces assumes that there is a linear relationship between the two known points, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account any other factors that may affect the relationship between the two surfaces, leading to potential inaccuracies in the estimated values.