1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear metal expansion - For an Old timer

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1

DHA

Hi all

I am a newbie here, so please go gentle

It is along time since I have had to use Thermal Co-efficients of expansion for various metals.

However, I am trying to tie in some figures I have been given to what I know to be reality.
    i am sure that I am doing something basically wrong, or the whole theory of such science will hve to be re-written

Now I know that aluminium expands at a rate of 1 or 2 mm per metre ( depending on colour ) I am involved here with the flashings on buildings , so thicknesses from 0.9mm to 3mm thick )

Given that knowledge ( unless the building industry is wrong ) I have been given a co-eff of 22.2 x (10 power -6) m/m K (Not sure how to get -6 as supertext )

How do I relate that back to a dimension of 2mm or so that I am familiar with ( I am sure I can not count the right number of zeros ) but hey it's well over 40 years since I did this and a good 50 since I did it at school

Much appreciated

A confused Old Timer

DHA

PS Perhaps I should add ~ I am moving decimal point 6 places to left, then 3 to right (to bring to mm ) obviously wrong as it is no where near ??

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    When you say 1-2mm expansion for 1 m bar, what is the temperature change producing this expansion?

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi DHA! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

That means for every degree Celcius it is heated, each metre of length (and thickness) expands by 0.0000222 metres (i.e., by 0.0222 mm).

So a 100°C rise would see each metre of it stretch by 2.22mm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Mar 24, 2012 #4

DHA

OK Forgot about temp difference, How thick am I ?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook