1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Momentum and Collisions - True/False

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects are at rest on a frictionless surface. Object 1 has a greater mass than object 2. When a constant force is applied to object 1, it accelerates throught a distance d. The force is removed from object 1 and is applied to object 2. At the moment when object 2 has accelerated through the same distance d, which statements are true? (Select all that apply.)
    p1 > p2 True
    K1 = K2 False
    K1 < K2 True
    p1 < p2 False
    p1 = p2 False
    K1 > K2 False

2. Relevant equations

Potential Energy - Stored energy; the energy an object has because of its position.
    Kinetic Energy - The energy that a moving object has due to its motion, the energy of motion.

Could Someone please let me know if I am thinking about this problem wrong? And if I am, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Why do you think that potential energy is relevant to this problem?

Work done = Force X displacement. When work is done on a body by a force for a distance d, and there is no dissipation of energy, then that work done must be equal to the KE of the body at the end of the distance d.

All the answers can be found from this. Show your work this time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?