Linear Momentum and Collisions - True/False

• Thread starter Melchior25
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Two objects are at rest on a frictionless surface. Object 1 has a greater mass than object 2. When a constant force is applied to object 1, it accelerates throught a distance d. The force is removed from object 1 and is applied to object 2. At the moment when object 2 has accelerated through the same distance d, which statements are true? (Select all that apply.)
p1 > p2 True
K1 = K2 False
K1 < K2 True
p1 < p2 False
p1 = p2 False
K1 > K2 False

Homework Equations

Potential Energy - Stored energy; the energy an object has because of its position.
Kinetic Energy - The energy that a moving object has due to its motion, the energy of motion.

Could Someone please let me know if I am thinking about this problem wrong? And if I am, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Shooting Star
Homework Helper

Homework Equations

Potential Energy - Stored energy; the energy an object has because of its position.
Kinetic Energy - The energy that a moving object has due to its motion, the energy of motion.

Why do you think that potential energy is relevant to this problem?

Work done = Force X displacement. When work is done on a body by a force for a distance d, and there is no dissipation of energy, then that work done must be equal to the KE of the body at the end of the distance d.

All the answers can be found from this. Show your work this time.