Linear momentum and its Conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a subject lying on a horizontal pallet is propelled in the opposite direction when their heart beats and expels blood into the aorta. The speed of the blood is given as 54.0 cm/s in one trial, and the mass of the subject and pallet is 54.0 kg. The pallet moves 6.55x10^-5 m in 0.160 s after one heartbeat, and the goal is to calculate the mass of the blood that leaves the heart. The equation p=mv is used to find the mass of the blood, but the resulting value of 23.4 kg is deemed impossible.
aaronb

Homework Statement

The subject lies on a horizontal pallet floating on a film of air. Friction on the pallet is negligible. Initially, the momentum of the system is zero. When the heart beats, it expels a mass m of blood into the aorta with speed v, and the body and platform move in the opposite direction with speed V. The speed of the blood can be determined independently (for example, by observing an ultrasound Doppler shift). Assume that the blood's speed is 54.0 cm/s in one typical trial. The mass of the subject plus the pallet is 54.0 kg. The pallet moves 6.55x10^-5 m in 0.160 s after one heartbeat. Calculate the mass of blood that leaves the heart

Homework Equations

p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I set found p=mv initial and final as well. I set initial and final momentum equal to each other and solved for mass of blood. However, my problem is I get a value of 23.4 kg which is intuitively impossible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you found that value.

I would approach this problem by first verifying the given information and equations. The equation p=mv is correct for calculating momentum, but it is important to make sure that the units are consistent. In this case, the speed of the blood is given in cm/s, while the mass of the subject and pallet is given in kg. It would be more appropriate to convert the speed to m/s to ensure consistency in units.

Next, I would consider the concept of conservation of momentum. This law states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the initial momentum must be equal to the final momentum. In this case, the initial momentum is zero, and the final momentum is the combined momentum of the blood and the subject plus pallet. By setting these two equal and solving for the mass of the blood, we should get a more reasonable answer.

Additionally, I would also consider other factors that may affect the movement of the pallet, such as the force of the heartbeat and the angle at which the blood is expelled from the heart. These could potentially affect the results and should be taken into account in the calculations.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by verifying the given information and equations, considering the concept of conservation of momentum, and taking into account other factors that may affect the results. By doing so, we can ensure that our solution is accurate and reasonable.

1. What is linear momentum and how is it defined?

Linear momentum is a fundamental physical quantity that describes the motion of an object in a straight line. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In mathematical terms, it can be written as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. How is linear momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in any interaction or collision between objects, the total momentum before and after the interaction must be the same. In other words, momentum cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one object to another.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of linear momentum?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that after the collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system remains the same. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not. This means that after the collision, the total momentum remains the same, but some of the kinetic energy is lost.

4. How is linear momentum related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Linear momentum is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the faster its momentum will change. In addition, Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, also applies to momentum. This means that in any interaction between two objects, the change in momentum of one object is equal and opposite to the change in momentum of the other object.

5. How is linear momentum used in real-world applications?

Linear momentum has numerous applications in the real world. It is used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to determine their speed and acceleration. It is also important in sports, such as football and baseball, to calculate the momentum of players and objects in motion. In addition, linear momentum is crucial in understanding the behavior of fluids, such as air and water, and is used in the design of machines such as pumps and turbines.