1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Momentum question help please!

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a one-dimensional interaction of two bodies with equal masses m. The
    interaction is governed by a conservative force. The linear momentum of one of the bodies is equal to p1 = Pexp(-kx) and that of other body is equal to p0 at (infinity). Find the potential energy as a function of distance x between these bodies (the potential is equal to zero at infinity). Determine the force acting between the bodies.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to begin :( I don't know what exp means. I'm assuming the collision is elastic because it says that the interaction is governed by a conservative force. I guess there's something to do with limits because of the 'infinity' clue? I can't find anything relevant in my textbook (Giancoli Physics for Scientists and Engineers volume 4) Any help is appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    I don't know how to solve the problem, but Pexp(-kx) would probably mean P^(-kX). (P raised to the negative kx). K should be some kind of constant, while x is most likely the distance between the objects, or some other form of variable distance.

Sorry I can't help more, but that should at least give you a hint as to what you're supposed to be working towards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook