Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear Momentum question help please!

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a one-dimensional interaction of two bodies with equal masses m. The
    interaction is governed by a conservative force. The linear momentum of one of the bodies is equal to p1 = Pexp(-kx) and that of other body is equal to p0 at (infinity). Find the potential energy as a function of distance x between these bodies (the potential is equal to zero at infinity). Determine the force acting between the bodies.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to begin :( I don't know what exp means. I'm assuming the collision is elastic because it says that the interaction is governed by a conservative force. I guess there's something to do with limits because of the 'infinity' clue? I can't find anything relevant in my textbook (Giancoli Physics for Scientists and Engineers volume 4) Any help is appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    I don't know how to solve the problem, but Pexp(-kx) would probably mean P^(-kX). (P raised to the negative kx). K should be some kind of constant, while x is most likely the distance between the objects, or some other form of variable distance.

Sorry I can't help more, but that should at least give you a hint as to what you're supposed to be working towards.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook