Linear Motion Integration Problem

In summary: So, this is saying that the acceleration, a, is numerically equal to x, the position of the particle?Yes, it is.
VincentweZu

Homework Statement

If the acceleration of a particle on a horizontal line is x where x represents the position in centimetres from the starting position of zero and if the initial velocity is 8 centimetres per second find the velocity of the particle when it is in a position of 15 centimetres

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted solving the equation using separation of variables.

let x = 15

a = 15
∫dv = ∫15dt
v = 15t + c c = 8
v = 15t + 8
∫dx = ∫15t + 8dt
x = 7.5t2 + 8t Assuming object starts at origin c = 0
15 = 7.5t2 + 8t Solving the quadratic
t = 0.9781

let t = 0.9781
v = 15(0.9781) + 8
v = 22.67cm/s

I know that something is wrong with my approach to the problem because this is not the answer, however I can't think of any other way to solve it. The answer is 17.

Physics news on Phys.org
VincentweZu said:

Homework Statement

If the acceleration of a particle on a horizontal line is x where x represents the position in centimetres from the starting position of zero and if the initial velocity is 8 centimetres per second find the velocity of the particle when it is in a position of 15 centimetres

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted solving the equation using separation of variables.

let x = 15

a = 15
∫dv = ∫15dt
v = 15t + c c = 8
v = 15t + 8
∫dx = ∫15t + 8dt
x = 7.5t2 + 8t Assuming object starts at origin c = 0
15 = 7.5t2 + 8t Solving the quadratic
t = 0.9781

let t = 0.9781
v = 15(0.9781) + 8
v = 22.67cm/s

I know that something is wrong with my approach to the problem because this is not the answer, however I can't think of any other way to solve it. The answer is 17.
So, this is saying that the acceleration, a, is numerically equal to x, the position of the particle?

Of course, this does make an assumption about the units involved. You have position in units of cm. The more important unit is the unit of time, which is usually expressed in units of seconds.​

Yes it's true that when the particle is at position, 15 cm, the its acceleration is, 15 cm/s2. However, you can't treat acceleration as if it's constant, which is what you did.

You need to solve the differential equation [itex]\displaystyle\frac{d^2x}{d\,t^2}=x\, ,[/itex] with the initial condition that the the velocity of the particle, dx/dt, is 8 cm/s, when t = 0 s.

Last edited:
Assume that the velocity, v, is expressed as a function of position, x. This is natural, since we know acceleration as a function of position.

Using the chain rule with [itex]\displaystyle a=\frac{dv}{dt}\,,[/itex] gives [itex]\displaystyle a=\frac{dv}{dx}\,\frac{dx}{dt}\,.[/itex]

Now replace dx/dt with v .

Can you solve the resulting differential equation?

Thanks for your response!

So what I have to do is to start with

a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]v

Since a = x

x = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]v
∫(x)dx = ∫(v)dv
x2/2 = v2/2 + c where c = 8

Am I on the right track?

(CGS unit system)
it is given
a=v dv/dx=x
so
v dv=x dx
integrating both sides

∫v dv=∫x dx where limit of vdv goes from '8 to v' and of xdx goes mrom '0 to x'

so
(v*2)/2 - (8*2)/2=(x*2)/2
on simplification it yields

(v*2) - 64 = (x*2)

now given x=15

v=√289=17cm/s

[I AM 99.99% SURE OF WHAT I've DONE]
[IT WAS DEFINATE INTEGRATION SO NO CONSTANT OF INTEGRATION]

Last edited:
VincentweZu said:
Thanks for your response!

So what I have to do is to start with

a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
a = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]v

Since a = x

x = [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]v
∫(x)dx = ∫(v)dv
x2/2 = v2/2 + c where c = 8

Am I on the right track?
You were until you said "c= 8"! Initially, v= 8 and x= 0. Putting those into your equation, 02/2= 82/2+ c so 32+ c= 0. c= -32, not 8.

Now set x= 15 and solve for v.

What is linear motion integration?

Linear motion integration is the process of calculating the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object moving along a straight line over a given time period. It involves using calculus concepts, such as integration and differentiation, to solve problems related to linear motion.

What are the key equations used in linear motion integration?

The key equations used in linear motion integration are the position equation (x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2), the velocity equation (v = v0 + at), and the acceleration equation (a = Δv/Δt). These equations can be derived from the basic principles of motion and are essential for solving problems related to linear motion.

How do you approach a linear motion integration problem?

The first step in approaching a linear motion integration problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify the known and unknown variables and choose an appropriate equation to solve for the unknown. Next, use calculus techniques, such as integration and differentiation, to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double-check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving linear motion integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving linear motion integration problems include using the wrong equation, not paying attention to units, and making calculation errors. It is also important to carefully consider the given information and make sure it is relevant to the problem at hand. Additionally, it is essential to include units in your final answer and to double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

How is linear motion integration used in real-world applications?

Linear motion integration has many real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It is used to calculate the trajectory of objects in motion, such as projectiles or vehicles, and is essential for designing and analyzing systems that involve linear motion. It is also used in fields like economics and biology to model and understand the behavior of various systems.