Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Motor Equations

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    I am trying to calculate the power required and resulting force for a linear motor, but I have been unsuccessful in finding the necessary equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

If you provide details of the linear motor you are considering, maybe someone will be able to help.

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    A tube with wire-wrapping to generate the magnetic fields which act on a magnetized cylinder. I would like to move the cylinder through the magnetized tube.

Thank you.

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

You have the youtube link? Otherwise, most engineers will associate the term with a 3 phase device.

6. Jan 28, 2015 #5
    Something like this:

I am specifically looking at the part where the brass rod is moving.

7. Jan 28, 2015 #6
    You'll hardly find exact equations for something like that. Maybe, there are some aproximative formulae based on numerical simul, but I don't remember if I ever saw them. Sorry :(

8. Jan 28, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Are there details of the construction? It appears that the brass tube houses 16 concealed magnets. That (upside-down so we can't see) circuit board houses his electronic circuitry. The two wires going to the coils may be multistrand, so actually 4 or more separate phases/wires.

9. Jan 30, 2015 #8
    Here is where I found the video. I was looking for a "how-to" on building a linear motor, and this was a top hit on Google.

http://hackaday.com/2013/02/04/building-a-linear-motor/

I liked it because it showed what I am looking for. But I cannot find anything on how to calculate the power required or the force generated. I imagine force is related to power and inductance (also related to power?), but I have been unable to find a set of equations to use in determining the design parameters.

10. Jan 30, 2015 #9

NascentOxygen

11. Jan 30, 2015 #10
    That is the concept, but I am looking for how much power to apply, the magnetic field generated, and the total force exerted on the body moving through the tube. I believe there is some set of governing equations that I can use to describe the system, I just have not been able to find them. I will keep looking, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook