Check my proof for quality (Inner Product Space / Subspaces)

In summary, S' is a subspace of V since it satisfies all the necessary requirements of a subspace, including the 0 vector being an element, closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and the existence of -v if v exists within S.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

S = a non-empty set of vecotrs in V
S' = set of all vectors in V which are orthogonal to every vector in S
Show S' = subspace of V

Homework Equations

Subspace requirements.
1. 0 vector is there
2. Closure under addition
3. Closure under scalar multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 0 is held within S' by definition here
2. Let v and v' exist within S' and let s exist within S.
<v+v',s>=<v,s>+<v',s> = 0+0 =0 which is what we want since
<v,s>=0 and <v',s>=0.
3. if x is a scalar, then <xv,s> = x<v,s> =x*0 = 0

therefore we have satisfied all the necessary requirements and have shown that S' is a subspace of V.

Question: In my notes, the instructor lists a fourth requirement, namely If v exists within S, S a subspace, then -v exists within s.
Must I prove this as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

S = a non-empty set of vecotrs in V
S' = set of all vectors in V which are orthogonal to every vector in S
Show S' = subspace of V

Homework Equations

Subspace requirements.
1. 0 vector is there
2. Closure under addition
3. Closure under scalar multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 0 is held within S' by definition here
I wouldn't say "by definition". The 0 vector is orthogonal to every vector in S, so ##0 \in S'##.
Minor quibble -- "is an element of S'" (##\in S'##) is used more commonly than "is held within".
RJLiberator said:
2. Let v and v' exist within S' and let s exist within S.
<v+v',s>=<v,s>+<v',s> = 0+0 =0 which is what we want since
<v,s>=0 and <v',s>=0.
The conclusion here is that if ##v, v' \in S'##, then ##v + v' \in S'##. This shows closure of addition.
RJLiberator said:
3. if x is a scalar, then <xv,s> = x<v,s> =x*0 = 0
The above shows that if ##v \in S'## and x is a scalar, the ##xv \in S'##, showing closure of scalar multiplication.
RJLiberator said:
therefore we have satisfied all the necessary requirements and have shown that S' is a subspace of V.

Question: In my notes, the instructor lists a fourth requirement, namely If v exists within S, S a subspace, then -v exists within s.
Must I prove this as well?
-v = (-1) * v, right? If you have already shown that the set is closed under scalar multiplication, then that also includes the case where the scalar is -1.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. It looks good with a few minor touch ups.

Thank you for your check and analysis of my writing. It is always helpful.

I see the importance in saying "this shows closure under ____" as that is what we set out to prove.

Thank you.

1. What is an inner product space?

An inner product space is a mathematical concept that describes a vector space where there is a defined operation for multiplying two vectors together, called an inner product. This operation satisfies certain properties, such as being linear and symmetric, and allows for the calculation of angles and lengths within the vector space.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace of an inner product space?

To determine if a set is a subspace of an inner product space, you must check if it satisfies three conditions: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This means that if you add or multiply any vectors from the set, the result must also be in the set, and the set must contain the zero vector.

3. What is the importance of inner product spaces in mathematics?

Inner product spaces are important in mathematics because they provide a framework for understanding and solving problems involving vectors and vector spaces. They allow for the calculation of angles, distances, and projections, which are essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. How do you check the quality of a proof for an inner product space or subspace?

To check the quality of a proof for an inner product space or subspace, you should first understand the definitions and properties involved. Then, carefully read through the proof and make sure that each step is logically sound and follows from the previous steps. You should also check for any errors in notation, calculations, or assumptions.

5. Can inner product spaces and subspaces be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, inner product spaces and subspaces have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate sound and images, in statistics to analyze data and make predictions, and in optimization problems to find the most efficient solution. They are also used in various fields of engineering, such as control systems and machine learning.