1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check my proof for quality (Inner Product Space / Subspaces)

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    S = a non-empty set of vecotrs in V
    S' = set of all vectors in V which are orthogonal to every vector in S
    Show S' = subspace of V

2. Relevant equations
    Subspace requirements.
    1. 0 vector is there
    2. Closure under addition
    3. Closure under scalar multiplication

3. The attempt at a solution

1. 0 is held within S' by definition here
    2. Let v and v' exist within S' and let s exist within S.
    <v+v',s>=<v,s>+<v',s> = 0+0 =0 which is what we want since
    <v,s>=0 and <v',s>=0.
    3. if x is a scalar, then <xv,s> = x<v,s> =x*0 = 0

therefore we have satisfied all the necessary requirements and have shown that S' is a subspace of V.

Question: In my notes, the instructor lists a fourth requirement, namely If v exists within S, S a subspace, then -v exists within s.
    Must I prove this as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't say "by definition". The 0 vector is orthogonal to every vector in S, so ##0 \in S'##.
    Minor quibble -- "is an element of S'" (##\in S'##) is used more commonly than "is held within".
    The conclusion here is that if ##v, v' \in S'##, then ##v + v' \in S'##. This shows closure of addition.
    The above shows that if ##v \in S'## and x is a scalar, the ##xv \in S'##, showing closure of scalar multiplication.
    -v = (-1) * v, right? If you have already shown that the set is closed under scalar multiplication, then that also includes the case where the scalar is -1.

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent. It looks good with a few minor touch ups.

Thank you for your check and analysis of my writing. It is always helpful.

I see the importance in saying "this shows closure under ____" as that is what we set out to prove.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted