Linear Transformation about the x-axis

In summary, the problem asks to find a linear transformation T from R3 to R3 that will rotate an object clockwise by angle θ around the x-axis. After some calculations, the resulting matrix is | 1 0 0 || 0 cosθ -sinθ || 0 sinθ cosθ | which satisfies the required properties.
toxi

Homework Statement

Find a linear transformation T from R3 to R3 which has the effect of rotating an object clockwise by angle θ around the x-axis.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should work with matrices to show how I came up to the final matrix, which i think has to be the following:

|x'| | 1 0 0 |
|y'| = | 0 cosθ -sinθ|
|z'| | 0 sinθ cosθ|

However, I don't know how to proceed to show how I came to the following matrix.

Any help is appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how did you come up with that? Don't you remember what you did? In any case, the problem doesn't really ask you to show how you arrived at that. What you do need to do is show that the matrix has the required properties.

Well that is just the solution I have found.

What do you mean that the matrix has the required properties?

Do I need to figure out the homogenous equations first?

I am a bit confused with all these, I've been reading lecture notes and books for ages but none of them seems to make sense to me.

Figure out how (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1) should transform under your rotation. The resulting vectors are the columns of your matrix. Isn't that what you did? Then you are done.

So there are no further steps needed to show?

That's what I did actually...

Not that I can think of. The three basis vectors transform to the correct place. Everything else will just follow.

Related to Linear Transformation about the x-axis

1. What is a linear transformation about the x-axis?

A linear transformation about the x-axis is a mathematical operation that involves changing the position and orientation of points or shapes on a coordinate plane by multiplying their coordinates by a constant value. This transformation is only applied to the x-coordinate, while the y-coordinate remains unchanged.

2. How is a linear transformation about the x-axis represented?

A linear transformation about the x-axis is represented by the matrix [1 0; 0 k], where k is the constant value used to scale the x-coordinate.

3. What effect does a linear transformation about the x-axis have on a point or shape?

A linear transformation about the x-axis will result in the point or shape being stretched or compressed horizontally, depending on the value of k. If k is greater than 1, the point or shape will be stretched, and if k is between 0 and 1, it will be compressed. If k is negative, the point or shape will be reflected across the x-axis before being stretched or compressed.

4. How can a linear transformation about the x-axis be applied to a set of points?

A linear transformation about the x-axis can be applied to a set of points by multiplying each point's x-coordinate by the constant value k. The y-coordinate will remain the same.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear transformations about the x-axis?

Linear transformations about the x-axis are commonly used in computer graphics to rotate, scale, or resize images. They can also be used in engineering and physics to model the behavior of objects in motion, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the movement of a pendulum.