1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    I have a question regarding a math problem that I do not know how to go about solving.

Let L: R^2 ---> R^2 be a linear operator. If L((1,2)^T)) = (-2,3)T
    and L((-1,1)) = (5,2)^T determine the value of L((7,5))^T

Any insight would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    L((1,2)^T)) = (-2,3)T

Just to make things clear, L is your function, and T is what in this case? ...And..what class is this for?

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    T mean Transposed, sorry I made a typo.

Let L: R^2 ---> R^2 be a linear operator. If L((1,2)^T)) = (-2,3)^T
    and L((-1,1)) = (5,2)^T determine the value of L((7,5))^T

This is some Linear Algebra homework I am stuck on.

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    k. Well, I'll assume (-1,1) is transposed also.

One way you can do this is by looking at the transformation matrix of L. Let's say its [x y]. Matrix multiplying ur vector by the transformation matrix should get you your answer. In this case, the values of x, y are not given but the answers are (by answers, i mean images). You should see that this becomes a problem of solving two equations.

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    I still a little confused, please can you make it a little more clear?

7. Oct 19, 2005 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try writing (7,5) as a linear combination of (1,2) and (-1,1). How will this help?

PS. it's ok to think of your vectors as row vectors, you could then leave out the transpose. Makes things a little neater in text.

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    shmoe's idea is on the right track...sorry, but I was way off, i think.

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
    Try writing (7,5) as a linear combination of (1,2) and (-1,1). How will this help?

I did, but I still don't see how it would help?

10. Oct 19, 2005 #9
    well now that you've done that consider the definition of A linear transformation.

A function L: R^n--->R^m is called a linear transformation or linear map if it satisfies

i) L(u+v)= L(u) + L(v) for all u,v in R^n
    ii) L(cv)= cL(v) for all v in R^n, and scalar c

Using both, this defintion and the combination you just made you should be able to get your answer.

11. Oct 19, 2005 #10
    I just realized that the combination I created is one of a few different combinations, does that matter which combination I use? I still can't get an answer. Or rather, I still can't get the answer that matches the books. is my linear combination correct?
    where x1 = (1,1) and x2 = (2,-1)

4*x1 + 3*x2 = 7
    3*x1 + (x2) = 5

where x1 and x2 have been taken from the (1,2) and (-1,1)

I might have figured something out,
    if I allow for a matrix multiplied by some other matrix, is that how i come about my answer?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  12. Oct 19, 2005 #11
    I really thank you guys for your help and patience with me.

I think I figured out my answer, and it all makes sense. You guys are awsome.:rofl: :approve: :approve: :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?