Linearise the euqations near each equilibrium point?

In summary: X3=0first part done getting X.=y and Y.=-x+1/4X3second part done getting (0,0) (2,0) and (-2,0)however i don't even know what the third part means let alone how to do it, assistance required pleaseIn summary, the equilibrium points are (0,0), (2,0), and (-2,0). Linearize the equations near each equlibrium point.
pokerfan91
linearise the euqations near each equilibrium point?

Write each of the following differential equations as two first order equations, find all the equlibrium points, and linearise the equations near each equlibrium point

(a) X.. +x -1/4X3=0

first part done getting X.=y and Y.=-x+1/4X3

second part done getting (0,0) (2,0) and (-2,0)

however i don't even know what the third part means let alone how to do it, assistance required please

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't understand your notation. What is X.. ? Which is the term representing the derivative? Maybe it's something I have not learned before.

pokerfan91 said:
Write each of the following differential equations as two first order equations, find all the equlibrium points, and linearise the equations near each equlibrium point

(a) X.. +x -1/4X3=0

first part done getting X.=y and Y.=-x+1/4X3

second part done getting (0,0) (2,0) and (-2,0)

however i don't even know what the third part means let alone how to do it, assistance required please
I assume the two dots are supposed to be superscripts denoting derivatives. In ASCII it is better to use ' and " for derivatives: x"+ x- (1/4)x3. Letting y= x', y'= x" so that equation becomes y'+ x- (1/4)x3 or x'= y, y'= -x+ (1/4)x3 as you say.

The equilibrium points are points where both derivatives are equal to 0: were x'= y= 0 and y'= -x+ (1/4)x3= 0. We can factor that as x((1/4)x2-1)= 0 and, yes, the equilibrium points are (0, 0), (2, 0), and (-2, 0).

Now, "linearize" means simply to replace any nonlinear function with a linear approximation. The best linear approximation to x3 for x close to 0 is just 0 itself (because the slope of x3 at 0 is 0). At (0,0) the linear approximation is just
x'= y, y'= -x.

The derivative of x3 at x= 2 is 3(22)= 12 and 23= 8 so the tangent line to y= x3 at x= 2 is y= 12(x-2)+ 8. At (2, 0) the linearization is x'= y, y'= -x+ 12(x- 2)+ 8= 11x- 16.

You could also do this by writing the "Jacobian" for the system and evaluating it at (0,0), (2,0) and (-2,0). Does your textbook say anything about the "Jacobian"?

.. no not X'' like X with 2 dots above it but i can't write that on here
X

1. What does it mean to linearize equations?

Linearizing equations means approximating a nonlinear system by a linear one, which allows for easier analysis and solution. This is done by taking the first-order terms of the Taylor series expansion around a specific point, usually an equilibrium point.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium points for a system?

Equilibrium points are found by setting the derivatives of all variables to zero. This results in a set of equations that can then be solved to find the values of the variables at the equilibrium point.

3. Why is it important to linearize equations near equilibrium points?

Linearization near equilibrium points allows for the study of small perturbations or changes in the system around those points. This can help in understanding the stability of the system and predicting its behavior.

4. Can all systems be linearized near equilibrium points?

No, not all systems can be linearized. Only systems that exhibit a certain level of smoothness, called differentiability, can be linearized. This means that the system has to have continuous derivatives up to a certain order.

5. Are there any limitations to linearization near equilibrium points?

Yes, there are limitations to linearization near equilibrium points. Linearization is only valid for small perturbations around the equilibrium point and will not accurately represent the behavior of the system for larger changes. Additionally, it can only be applied to systems that are differentiable and have a unique equilibrium point.