Link to little strange Proof it fooled me

In summary, the conversation discusses a link to a visual "proof" that 64 equals 65, but upon closer inspection, it is revealed that the pieces do not fit together perfectly and there is a subtle flaw in the logic. The conversation also mentions a similar problem involving right angles and a personal experience with being fooled by a similar problem.
Dayle Record
Link to little strange "Proof" it fooled me

It is called 64=65.

http://www.blessa.com/64-equals-65.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You probably don't notice it but the pieces actually don't fit together when you rearrange them (because the diagonal in the rectangle (the new figure) is not really a line). It is very subtle but if you do the math, you'll see what I mean. Don't just trust in what you see.

Yes, had a good laugh when I 1st saw this.

While I've seen this idea before, that was a cute little animation. Thanks.

Ah, the difference between 0.4 and 0.375... so close, yet so far.

- Warren

there is also a nice proof that all angles are right angles that I have always been puzzled by, that depends on a picture. I never can recall how it goes.

I was fooled by a similar problem awhile back, so it was easy to spot the flaw in this one. That and the gap between purported straight lines was larger.

1. What is "Link to little strange Proof it fooled me"?

"Link to little strange Proof it fooled me" is a phrase used to describe a link or piece of evidence that seemed strange or unusual, and ultimately fooled someone into believing something that was not true.

2. How can a link or evidence "fool" someone?

A link or evidence can "fool" someone by appearing to be legitimate or trustworthy, but in reality, it is misleading or false. This can happen through the use of deceptive language, images, or information.

3. What are some examples of links or evidence that can "fool" someone?

Some examples of links or evidence that can "fool" someone include fake news articles, doctored images, misleading statistics, and deceptive advertisements.

4. Why is it important to be aware of "Link to little strange Proof it fooled me"?

It is important to be aware of "Link to little strange Proof it fooled me" because it helps us to critically evaluate information and sources before believing or sharing them. By being aware of potential deceptive tactics, we can avoid being misled or spreading misinformation.

5. How can we protect ourselves from falling for "Link to little strange Proof it fooled me"?

To protect ourselves from falling for "Link to little strange Proof it fooled me", we can practice critical thinking and fact-checking. This involves examining the source and credibility of information, as well as seeking out multiple perspectives and sources before accepting something as true.