1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little help with practice problem for exam

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    Hello, I'm new here. Basically I have this practice excercise for my exam.:

My general problem is that I'm bad with separating forces into components, and I assume this excercise deals with that. Can someone plz point me in the right direction to solving this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2
    okay well, the vertical component of the top string would be equal to weight... baseically 4.3 kg*g(acceleration of gravity). that would be tension*sin27... find out tension, the horizontal components of the two strings cancel out... and the horizontal component of the top string would be tension*cos27

ah, by the way, there is a homework help section on the forum, scroll down to the lower section of the webpage and you should see it
  4. Sep 22, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since gravity is vertical and the string on the right is horizontal you already know the horizontal and vertical components of the other string! :-)
  5. Sep 22, 2004 #4
    hmm apparently I'm doing something wrong because I dont get the correct answer.

In order to get the tension in the lower string i have to find out the horizontal component of the top string correct?

I'm posting this in the homework help section. Sorry for not noticing this.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?