Little help with practice problem for exam

• Thread starter tibu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses a practice exercise for an exam involving a steel ball suspended from two strings. The upper string is at an angle of 27.0° from the vertical and the lower string is horizontal. The problem involves finding the magnitude of T2, the tension in the lower string, by separating forces into components. The vertical component of the top string would be equal to the weight of the ball, and the horizontal components of the two strings cancel out. However, the speaker is having trouble finding the correct answer and is seeking help in the homework help section of the forum.
tibu
Hello, I'm new here. Basically I have this practice excercise for my exam.:

A steel ball of mass 4.30 kg is suspended from two strings as shown in the picture. The upper string is at an angle of theta = 27.0° from the vertical, while the lower string is horizontal. Calculate the magnitude of T2, the tension in the lower string.

http://capa.hep.uprm.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype06/prob09_xph183f6pic2.gif

My general problem is that I'm bad with separating forces into components, and I assume this excercise deals with that. Can someone please point me in the right direction to solving this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
okay well, the vertical component of the top string would be equal to weight... baseically 4.3 kg*g(acceleration of gravity). that would be tension*sin27... find out tension, the horizontal components of the two strings cancel out... and the horizontal component of the top string would be tension*cos27

ah, by the way, there is a homework help section on the forum, scroll down to the lower section of the webpage and you should see it

Since gravity is vertical and the string on the right is horizontal you already know the horizontal and vertical components of the other string! :-)

hmm apparently I'm doing something wrong because I don't get the correct answer.

In order to get the tension in the lower string i have to find out the horizontal component of the top string correct?

*Edit*
I'm posting this in the homework help section. Sorry for not noticing this.

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to approach a practice problem for an exam?

The best way to approach a practice problem for an exam is to first read and understand the question, then break it down into smaller parts. Next, review any relevant concepts or formulas that may apply to the problem. Finally, attempt to solve the problem step by step and check your work for accuracy.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for exams?

To improve your problem-solving skills for exams, it is important to practice regularly and review any mistakes you make. You can also try solving problems in different ways or seeking help from a tutor or classmate. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can also help improve problem-solving skills.

3. Is it better to practice with more difficult problems or easier problems?

It is recommended to practice with a mix of both difficult and easier problems. This allows you to challenge yourself and build your problem-solving skills, while also solidifying your understanding of basic concepts and techniques.

4. How can I stay motivated while practicing for exams?

One way to stay motivated while practicing for exams is to set specific goals for each practice session. These goals could be based on the number of problems you want to solve or the amount of time you want to spend practicing. It can also help to take breaks and reward yourself for completing practice problems.

5. Can practicing for exams help improve my overall understanding of the subject?

Yes, practicing for exams can help improve your overall understanding of the subject. By regularly engaging with practice problems, you are reinforcing your understanding of key concepts and techniques. This can also help identify any areas where you may need to spend more time studying. Additionally, practicing problems can also help you become more familiar with the format and types of questions that may appear on the exam.