Little Problem about rectangles

• Thread starter doggie_Walkes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a grid and determining the number of squares and rectangles that can be drawn within the grid. The idea of using binomial coefficients is mentioned, and the pattern of the number of squares for different grid sizes is explored. There is also mention of a question about rectangles and clarification is needed on what is meant by "containing" them. The conversation also mentions the use of combinatorics to solve this problem.
doggie_Walkes
Hey this is just a fun question that my teacher said. But haven't got a clue.

Suppose you draw a n x n grid on a piece of paper. how many squares could you draw in the diagram? how many rectangles can you contain.

Its something to do with binomial coefficients, what you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
"how many rectangles can you contain."

What do you mean by this?

I'm not sure if this is correct but I'll throw it out there anyways.

If we let n = 1, how many squares are we going to get? 1 right?

If we let n = 2, how many squares are we going to get? 4 right?

If we let n = 3, how many squares are we going to get? 9 right?

Hmmmm... Can you see the pattern developping?

As far as the rectangles question, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, we could make infinitely small rectangles couldn't we? There needs to be more clarification on that part of the question.

EDIT: If a rectangle can only be made from combining "WHOLE" squares on our grid paper then the smallest rectangle would be generated from combining 2 squares, so if you're asking how many rectangles we can contain it would simply be HALF the number of squares.

I'm sure the question just means you make the squares or rectangles by combining whole 1x1 squares. For n=2 you get 5 squares, right? 4 1x1 and 1 2x2. n=3 I get 14.

No, for nXn there are

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} (n-i)^2[/tex].

Think of a 2x2 grid. there are 4 little squares and one big one, on a 3x3 grid you have 9 little squares, 4, 2x2 squares and 1 big one... see the pattern?

(Though, I still don't know what the thing about rectangles is getting at.)

Let's try not to give the whole thing away here, but a rectangle is defined by choosing any two grid points which aren't in the same row or column. It's a combinatorics problem.

Question 1: What is a "Little Problem about rectangles"?

The "Little Problem about rectangles" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the dimensions of a rectangle given its area and perimeter.

Question 2: What is the formula for finding the dimensions of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the dimensions of a rectangle is: length = perimeter/2 - width and area = length x width.

Question 3: How do I solve the "Little Problem about rectangles"?

To solve the problem, you need to plug in the given values for the area and perimeter into the formula and solve for the missing dimension.

Question 4: Can this problem be solved for any rectangle?

Yes, this problem can be solved for any rectangle as long as the given values for area and perimeter are accurate.

Question 5: What is the significance of this problem in real life?

The "Little Problem about rectangles" has practical applications in fields such as construction, engineering, and architecture, where accurately determining the dimensions of a rectangle is important for designing and building structures.