When to Use Ln vs Log in Calculating Derivatives?

• Thread starter Drake M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln Log
In summary, the natural logarithm of a number is usually denoted by the symbol ##\log(u)##, while the base 10 logarithm is usually denoted by the symbol ##\log_e(u)##.
Drake M

Homework Statement

I'm having a hard time differentiating when to use log instead of ln, vice versa. Are there any general rules to follow?

For example I have to evaluate 4u^-3 + u^-1.

Homework Equations

f'(1/u) = log u
f'(1/u) = ln u

The Attempt at a Solution

I put -2u^-2 + log(u) but the textbook solution shows the same answer except with ln.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of 1/u is ln(u), not log10(u). When you are dealing with derivatives or integrals, the natural log has an advantage. In those situations, log10 requires that you correctly include factors of ln(10) in your answers.
CORRECTION: The derivative of ln(u) is 1/u. ( Thanks @lcgldr)

Last edited:
Drake M said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a hard time differentiating when to use log instead of ln, vice versa. Are there any general rules to follow?

For example I have to evaluate 4u^-3 + u^-1.

Homework Equations

f'(1/u) = log u
f'(1/u) = ln u

The Attempt at a Solution

I put -2u^-2 + log(u) but the textbook solution shows the same answer except with ln.

Some books and papers denote the natural logarithm of ##u## as ##\log(u)## instead of ##\ln(u)##. Some other books reserve the notation ##\log(u)## for log to base 10 of ##u##. Still others use ##\log_{10}(u)## instead in that context.

I do believe that the most common forms are ##\ln(u)## for ##\log_e(u)## and ##\log(u)## for ##\log_{10}(u)##, but I have no statistics on that issue.

Some computer algebra systems adopt similar standards. For example, Maple accepts either "log(u)" or "ln(u)" for ##\ln(u)## but prints it out as ##\ln(u)##. It needs the fancier notation "log[a](u)" for ##\log_a(u)## when ##a \neq e##. I don't have access to Mathematica, so I don't know what conventions it adopts.

Just for clarity, I recommend the use of ln() for base e and loga() for arbitrary base a. Otherwise, it leaves people guessing what base you want. It's nicer to specify the base when you use 'log'.

The exception is in math books like complex analysis, where the base is always e, regardless of the 'ln', versus 'log' choice.

Likes PeroK
I think the notation ##\ln u## is common in applied, less rigorous mathematics, especially senior high school level math. Pure mathematics literature usually assumes that ##\log u## means the base ##e## logarithm unless otherwise stated. The base-10 logarithm is important in chemistry, where the pH scale is defined with it.

Likes vela and FactChecker
I meant to thank you all for your help sooner but i got caught up in test and mid-terms. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between ln and log?

Ln and log are both mathematical functions used to calculate the logarithm of a number. The main difference between them is the base they use. Ln uses the natural logarithm with a base of e, while log can use different bases such as 10 or 2.

2. When should I use ln instead of log?

Ln is commonly used when dealing with natural phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. Log is often used in computer science and engineering for calculations involving data storage and processing.

3. What are the benefits of using ln over log?

The use of ln can simplify complex calculations and give a more accurate representation of natural processes. It is also useful in integration and differentiation, making it a valuable tool in calculus.

4. Can ln and log be used interchangeably?

No, ln and log cannot be used interchangeably. They have different bases and therefore, give different results. Using the wrong function can lead to errors in calculations.

5. How do I convert between ln and log?

To convert from ln to log, you can use the formula logx = lnx / ln(b), where b is the base of your choice. To convert from log to ln, use the formula lnx = logx * ln(b).