Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load bearing of 2 alluminum square tubing

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    load bearing of 2" alluminum square tubing

im trying to build a load bearing beam out of 2" alluminum tubing 1/8 in walls can any one tell me the weight a length 8feet long could bear befor bending its aa6061 T6 what would it hold befor bending? keep in mind math is not my cup of tea lol

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2
    Re: load bearing of 2" alluminum square tubing

forgot to mention its square tubing aa6061 T6 2" square 1/8 in walled

4. Jun 11, 2012 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a simply-supported beam subjected to static loading, the allowable midspan point load would be P = 2100 N.

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4

i apriciate the help but like i said befor i dont even know what P stands for me and math are sworn enemies lol. but thanks for the help

6. Jun 12, 2012 #5

Well, there are many different types of loads that could be supported...and in so many different fashions.

Is this like a structural beam which is pretty much rigidly supported at two ends and has a point load in the middle (or at multiple spans)? Is it a cantilever? These are all questions you'll have to answer before you can do the math.

See here for a basic mathematical explanation of everything you'd want to know about beams.

See http://www.aaronklapheck.com/Downloads/Engr112_Handouts/ENGR112%20Solutions/05-01ChapGere[1].pdf [Broken] for good examples with equations and solutions.

Click here for just the formulas for different cases.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jun 12, 2012 #6

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sirhart: P in post 3 is the applied, transverse, midspan point load as shown http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1302/beam01.png [Broken]. Let us know if this is not what you were asking about.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jun 12, 2012 #7

basicly i am atempting to build a 4 tired bike frame since my knee is no longer strong enulf to catch me on a normal bike i thought i might put an extra seat on it for my 7 year old daughter to come along. i needed the frame to span about 6 feet from axle to axle 8 feet in all. was hoping to use aluminum for weight issues but may have to use steal. just trying to figure if it would of bend with two people riding it. didnt want to get hurt riding along and pop im on the ground lol

9. Jun 12, 2012 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are asking for advice on how to build something that could get your daughter hurt if it's not done correctly? You didn't even specifiy early on that this was going to be a dynamic load, with peak loads significantly above the static load (potholes)!

Sorry, this is not a good subject for the PF. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook