Locus in the complex plane.

In summary, the area of the region bounded by the locus of z satisfying the equation arg((z+5i)/(z-5i)) = pm pi/4 can be found by considering a circle with 'holes' at z = 5 and z = -5. The radius of this circle can be determined using a circle theorem involving angles subtended by the same arc at the circumference, and then used to calculate the area.
juantheron
Area of Region Bounded by the locus of $z$ which satisfy the equation [tex]\displaystyle \arg \left(\frac{z+5i}{z-5i}\right) = \pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] is

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Area of Region Bounded by the locus of $z$ which satisfy the equation [tex]\displaystyle \arg \left(\frac{z+5i}{z-5i}\right) = \pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] is
What have you tried?

jacks said:
You can take a geometric approach.

Your relation can be written [tex]\arg(z + 5) - \arg(z - 5) = \pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex], that is, [tex]\alpha - \beta =\pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex].

Consider the line segment joining z = 5 and z = -5 as the chord on a circle and consider the rays [tex]\arg(z +5) = \alpha[/tex] and [tex]\arg(z - 5) = \beta[/tex] subject to the restriction [tex]\alpha - \beta =\pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]. Consider the intersection of these rays and the angle between them at their intersection point. The angle is constant ... Now think of a circle theorem involving angles subtended by the same arc at the circumference ...

It's not hard to see you that have a circle with 'holes' at z = 5 and z = -5 (why?).

Now your job is to determine the radius of this circle and use it to get the area.

Last edited:

1. What is a locus in the complex plane?

A locus in the complex plane is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or equation. In other words, it is the path traced by a point as it moves according to a specific rule or constraint.

2. How is a locus represented in the complex plane?

A locus in the complex plane is typically represented by a graph or diagram, with the x-axis representing the real part and the y-axis representing the imaginary part. The locus itself can be a line, curve, or even a collection of points.

3. What is the significance of studying loci in the complex plane?

Studying loci in the complex plane is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including geometry, algebra, and physics. It allows us to visualize and understand complex relationships and patterns, and can be applied to solve real-world problems.

4. What are some common examples of loci in the complex plane?

Some common examples of loci in the complex plane include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These are all represented by equations that involve both real and imaginary numbers, making them more complex than traditional geometric shapes.

5. How do loci in the complex plane relate to complex numbers?

Loci in the complex plane are closely related to complex numbers, as they are often represented by equations involving complex numbers. The behavior of a locus can also be described using complex numbers, as they allow us to easily visualize and understand transformations and rotations in the plane.