How to Simplify Logarithmic Equations?

• Thread starter JakePearson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation is about needing help with solving logarithm equations and using the laws of logarithms to simplify them. The person is asking for guidance and is willing to try and solve the equations on their own. They are also reminded of the rules and properties of logarithms.
JakePearson
i need help with the following quesitons;

a) log_3 27x^2
b) ln (x^2 / y^2)
c) ln (xe^x)
d) log (2x + 3y)

i don't mind if you could direct me in the right direction and i will do my best to go from there :)

USING THE RULES FOR LOGS, SPLIT THE FOLLOWING UP INTO SEPERATE LOGARITHM FUNCTIONS AND NUMBERS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JakePearson said:
i need help with the following quesitons;

a) log_3 27x^2
b) ln (x^2 / y^2)
c) ln (xe^x)
d) log (2x + 3y)

i don't mind if you could direct me in the right direction and i will do my best to go from there :)

Depends on what x and y are. Could you please provide the full problem statement, and then show us your attempt at the solutions?

First, do you know the "laws of logarithms"?

[itex]log_a(xy)= log_a(x)+ log_a(y)[/itex]
[itex]log_a(x^y)= ylog_a(x)[/itex]

Also you should know that [itex]log_a(a^x)= x[/itex].

Using the rules for logs, split the following up into separate logarithm functions and numbers as much as possible?

JakePearson said:
Using the rules for logs, split the following up into separate logarithm functions and numbers as much as possible?

Okay, so using the hints/review from HallsofIvy, show us your tries at simplifying those equations...

1. What is the purpose of using logarithms in scientific research?

Logarithms are used to make large numbers or very small numbers more manageable for calculations. They also allow for easier comparison between values that may have a large difference in magnitude.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

3. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm?

A natural logarithm (ln) has a base of e, which is an irrational number approximately equal to 2.718. A common logarithm (log) has a base of 10. This means that ln(x) is the inverse of e^x, while log(x) is the inverse of 10^x.

4. How can I use logarithms to analyze data?

Logarithms are commonly used in data analysis to transform data that is not normally distributed into a more symmetrical form. This allows for more accurate statistical analysis and interpretation of the data.

5. Can logarithms be used in all branches of science?

Yes, logarithms are used in many different fields of science such as biology, chemistry, physics, and economics. They are a fundamental tool in scientific research and are applicable in a wide range of scenarios.