Solve Logarithm Problem: Prove 3/2

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary: I'm glad I could help.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the equation Log(√27 + Log √8 - Log √125) / (Log 6 – Log 5) = 3/2, with one participant seeking insight and another providing a solution using logarithmic laws. After some discussion, the correct solution is determined to be 3/2, regardless of the base of the logarithm used.
chwala
Gold Member
I am not very good in logs i have tried to attempt below problem in vain..give me an insight.
Prove Log(√27 + Log √8 - Log √125 ) / (Log 6 – Log 5) =3/2
I am not good in logarithms how do you show this…
This is how I did it:,
Log ( ( 3√3 *2√2 ) / 5√5 ) ) / ( 6/5)

((3√(3 *) 2√2 *5)) / ((5√5 *6)) = 6/5 and not 3/2 as indicated by problem am i right?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it log10 or the natural logarithm?

Are you sure the problem is correctly written in your post. If you include more parentheses it would be somewhat clearer.

You are expected to use:

log(ab) = log(a) + log(b)
log(a^b) = b log(a)

as well as some factorizing and shortening of fractions.

I checked the numerical value by typing it into Octave, but didn't get 3/2 or 6/5, not with log10 and not with the natural logarithm :-) I won't garantee that I did nothing wrong, though.

torquil said:
Is it log10 or the natural logarithm?

Are you sure the problem is correctly written in your post. If you include more parentheses it would be somewhat clearer.

You are expected to use:

log(ab) = log(a) + log(b)
log(a^b) = b log(a)

as well as some factorizing and shortening of fractions.

I checked the numerical value by typing it into Octave, but didn't get 3/2 or 6/5, not with log10 and not with the natural logarithm :-) I won't garantee that I did nothing wrong, though.

This is a logarithms used in every day calculations i.e of base 10 and they are reffered to as common logarithms and the base 10 is often omitted...kindly note that the question is to be solved without the help of tables or other...the solution to the problem is 3/2
kindly solve manually showing your steps i have shown mine...i am conversant with the laws of logarithms.

chwala said:
I am not very good in logs i have tried to attempt below problem in vain..give me an insight.
Prove Log(√27 + Log √8 - Log √125 ) / (Log 6 – Log 5) =3/2
I am not good in logarithms how do you show this…
This is how I did it:,
Log ( ( 3√3 *2√2 ) / 5√5 ) ) / log ( 6/5)

Fixed.

You're trying to solve [tex]\frac{\log\left(\frac{3\sqrt{3}\cdot 2\sqrt{2}}{5\sqrt{5}}\right)}{\log\left(\frac{6}{5}\right)}[/tex]

chwala said:
((3√(3 *) 2√2 *5)) / ((5√5 *6)) = 6/5 and not 3/2 as indicated by problem am i right?

[tex]\frac{log(a)}{log(b)}\neq \frac{a}{b}[/tex] so I'm not surprised it doesn't give you the answer you were looking for.

Look at the numerator, simplify the part inside the log, and then convert the roots into fractional powers to make things clearer :wink:

p.s. It doesn't matter what logarithm it is. The answer is independent of this.

Likes chwala
Log (3^3/2 * 2^3/2 / 5^3/2) = Log (6/5)

Log (3*2/5)^3/2 = Log (6/5)

Log (6/5)^3/2 = Log (6/5)
3/2 Log (6/5) = Log (6/5)
3/2 = log (6/5) / Log (6/5)
=3/2
I love physics forum thank you so much…….maths for life
thanks a lot mentallic.

No worries :smile:

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse of an exponent. It is a mathematical function that helps us solve for an unknown value in an exponential equation. The logarithm of a number is the power to which a base must be raised to produce that number. For example, the logarithm base 2 of 8 is 3, because 2 to the power of 3 is 8.

2. How do you solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you need to isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation and the exponent and base on the other side. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the power rule and product rule, to simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the purpose of proving a logarithm problem?

Proving a logarithm problem helps us verify that our solution is correct and that the equation follows the rules and properties of logarithms. It is also essential in higher-level math and science courses, where proving equations and solutions is a crucial part of problem-solving.

4. How do you prove 3/2 in a logarithm problem?

In order to prove 3/2 in a logarithm problem, we need to use the definition of a logarithm and the properties of logarithms. First, we can write 3/2 as a fraction with a common base, such as 2/2. Then, we can use the power rule to rewrite the equation as log base 2 of 3 - log base 2 of 2. Finally, we can use the product rule and simplify the equation to log base 2 of 3/2, proving that the logarithm of 3/2 is equal to log base 2 of 3/2.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving logarithm problems?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that people make when solving logarithm problems. These include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, using the incorrect base, and simplifying incorrectly. It is important to double-check your work and make sure that your solution follows the rules and properties of logarithms.