What is the simplified form of 2 log (x2 - 1) - log (x + 1) - 2 log (x - 1)?

In summary, the task is to simplify the given term (2 log (x2 - 1) - log (x + 1) - 2 log (x - 1)) to one term, which is log (x + 1). The student has attempted to divide and factorize the term but was not able to reach the correct answer. Other users on the forum provided helpful hints, such as using logarithmic laws and the fact that x2-1 can be written as (x+1)(x-1). After using indices, the student was able to simplify the term to log (x + 1).
nvez
Hello again..

Homework Statement

I
I have to change this to one term only, the valid answer is: log (x + 1)

The term is: 2 log (x2 - 1) - log (x + 1) - 2 log (x - 1)

Homework Equations

Logarithmic laws:

x log n = log nx
log m - log n = log (m/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried dividing them but I don't see to be getting anywhere or anywhere close at all at the answer, I also tried factorising but I cannot figure it out, I'm pretty sure that it has some factorization (perfect squares? not sure what they're called in english..)

Thank you in advanced, this forum is a very useful resource!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you said you tried dividing. That gives log ( (x2-1)2/((x+1)(x-1)2) ). Now you just need to use the fact that (x2-1)=(x-1)(x+1), and some things will cancel out.

Note that x2-1=(x+1)(x-1)

Use some indices and you should get it.

The exact thing I needed!

Thank you guys, I can't appreciate this enough.

What is a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of an exponential function. It is written in the form of y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm and x is the input value.

How do you graph a logarithmic function?

To graph a logarithmic function, you first need to choose a base for the logarithm. Then, choose a set of input values (x) and calculate the corresponding output values (y) using the logarithmic function equation. Plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them to create a smooth curve. Remember to label your axes and include a key for the base of the logarithm.

What is the domain and range of a logarithmic function?

The domain of a logarithmic function is all positive real numbers, since the base of the logarithm cannot be negative or equal to 0. The range of a logarithmic function is all real numbers, as the output values can be positive, negative, or 0.

How do you solve equations involving logarithmic functions?

To solve equations involving logarithmic functions, you can use the properties of logarithms. These include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. You can also use the fact that logb(x) = y is equivalent to by = x. Be sure to check for extraneous solutions when solving logarithmic equations.

What are the applications of logarithmic functions?

Logarithmic functions can be used to model real-world phenomena such as population growth, pH levels, and sound intensity. They are also used in various fields of science, including biology, economics, and physics. In computer science, logarithmic functions are used to measure the efficiency of algorithms and data structures.