Logaritmic diffrentation restrictions

• Thread starter new_at_math
  • Start date
In summary: I have f(x) = x^3then ln(f)= ln(x^3)= 3 ln(x) as long as x is positive. f'(x)/f(x)= f'(x)/x^3= 3/x so f'(x)= 3x^2.If x is negative, neither ln(x^3) nor ln(x) exists but we can take g(x)= |x^3|= -f(x) or f(x)= -g(x) and say that f'(x)= -g'(x). For x
new_at_math
Why does if a function can equal zero, since you can't take the log of zero.

EDIT:
let me rephrase the question; where can logarithmic differentiation not be used?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is not clear. Give an example.

"Logarithmic differentiation" cannot be used where the logarithm does not exist! Since logarithm functions have domain "all positive numbers" that would be where the function you are taking the logarithm of is not positive.

You could, however, deal with the absolute value of the function, using the fact that the derivative of |f(x)| is the same as the the derivative of f if f(x) is positive, the negative of the derivative of f if f(x) is negative, and undefined if f(x)= 0.

?

let me get this right:

lets say I have f(x) = x^3
then I can log both sides since f(x) is positive,even though it has values that are both 0 and negative

after, log., differentiating I get 3x^2

so I can always use logarithmic differentiation whenever the equation is not equal to zero, since having a negative sign on one side can be fixed by taking the absolute value of both sides. the fact that the function contains, in other words: can output, negative or zero values does not matter.

new_at_math said:
let me get this right:

then I can log both sides since f(x) is positive,even though it has values that are both 0 and negative
?
f(x) = x3 is positive only when x > 0.
new_at_math said:
As already noted, when x ≤ 0, log(x) is not defined.
new_at_math said:
so I can always use logarithmic differentiation whenever the equation is not equal to zero, since having a negative sign on one side can be fixed by taking the absolute value of both sides. the fact that the function contains, in other words: can output, negative or zero values does not matter.

new_at_math said:
let me get this right:

Then ln(f)= ln(x^3)= 3 ln(x) as long as x is positive. f'(x)/f(x)= f'(x)/x^3= 3/x so f'(x)= 3x^2.

If x is negative, neither ln(x^3) nor ln(x) exists but we can take g(x)= |x^3|= -f(x) or f(x)= -g(x) and say that f'(x)= -g'(x). For x negative, g(x)= -x^2 is positive so we can say that g'(x)=-3x^2 and then f'(x)= -(-3x^2)= 3x^2. Derivatives are not necessarily continuous but they do satisfy the "intermediate value theorem- for x between a and b. f'(x) must be between f(a) and f(b). In particular, since 3x^2 and -3x^2 go to 0 as x goes to 0, f'(0), if it exists, must be 0.

Of course. this is the hard way to do this derivative!

1. What is logaritmic differentiation?

Logaritmic differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of a function that contains both logarithmic and non-logarithmic terms.

2. Why is logaritmic differentiation used?

Logaritmic differentiation is used to simplify complicated functions that cannot be easily differentiated using traditional methods. It also helps to solve problems involving variables in both the base and exponent of a logarithmic function.

3. What are the restrictions for using logaritmic differentiation?

The main restriction for using logaritmic differentiation is that the function must be positive for all values in the domain. Additionally, the function must be continuous and differentiable in the given interval.

4. Can logaritmic differentiation be used for any type of function?

No, logaritmic differentiation can only be used for functions that contain both logarithmic and non-logarithmic terms. It cannot be used for functions that only have logarithmic terms or only have non-logarithmic terms.

5. What is the general rule for logaritmic differentiation?

The general rule for logaritmic differentiation is to take the natural logarithm of both sides of the function, use the properties of logarithms to simplify, and then differentiate using the power rule or chain rule as necessary.