Logic: Extension Theorem Explained

In summary, the Extension Theorem says that if a set X contains formulae A and a formulae B that is the negation of B, then the resulting set X,Y is semantically consistent. However, the property of soundness will be lost, meaning that X,Y |=P even if P is something that is supposed to be a consequence of the Extension Theorem.
dobry_den
Hi! I'm just reading Wilfrid Hodges's book Logic, chapter 24. Properties of Semantic Entailment. I'm a bit puzzled by the following paragraphs concerning the Extension Theorem:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/dobry_den/extension_theorem.jpg

What if X contains formulae A, A->B and Y contains just B' (negation of B). Then the resulting set X,Y is semantically inconsistent and therefore the theorem isn't true.

I'm probably wrong, but I can't see where...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dobry_den said:
Then the resulting set X,Y is semantically inconsistent and therefore the theorem isn't true.
Elaborate upon that "therefore".

Well, assume that the first part of the if-clause is true. X implies psi. But then the second part is somewhat tricky - X,Y is semantically inconsistent, so it cannot imply psi. That's what I mean.

I'm on the right track now, I think. X |= a (X is a set of formulae, a is a formula) means that there's no structure in which a and all the formulae of X are defined, and all the formulae of X are true while a is false. In the example above, this is satisfied, since there's no structure in which all the formulae of X are true... Is this explanation correct?

dobry_den said:
I'm on the right track now, I think. X |= a (X is a set of formulae, a is a formula) means that there's no structure in which a and all the formulae of X are defined, and all the formulae of X are true while a is false.
That is correct.

So I think you see, or are at least close to seeing, why you were wrong before. If {X, Y} is inconsistent, then it is clear that X,Y|=P, no matter what P is.

thank you.. when i began to elaborate on that "therefore", i was enlighted and saw my mistake:)

dobry_den said:
Hi! I'm just reading Wilfrid Hodges's book Logic, chapter 24. Properties of Semantic Entailment. I'm a bit puzzled by the following paragraphs concerning the Extension Theorem:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/dobry_den/extension_theorem.jpg

What if X contains formulae A, A->B and Y contains just B' (negation of B). Then the resulting set X,Y is semantically inconsistent and therefore the theorem isn't true.

I'm probably wrong, but I can't see where...

The property of semantic validity isn't lost by introducing the set Y.
But the property of soundness will, in general, be lost (assuming the argument was
sound to begin with). That's important, because (in the final analysis) the question
of acceptance is usually couched in terms of soundness of argument.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the book. Maybe the author addresses the issue later.

Related to Logic: Extension Theorem Explained

What is the Extension Theorem in logic?

The Extension Theorem in logic is a principle that states that if two logical expressions are logically equivalent, then they have the same extension. This means that they have the same truth values for all possible combinations of inputs.

Why is the Extension Theorem important?

The Extension Theorem is important because it helps us to determine the validity of logical arguments. By showing that two expressions have the same extension, we can prove that they are logically equivalent and therefore, any argument based on them is valid.

How is the Extension Theorem used in logic?

The Extension Theorem is used in logic to prove the validity of logical arguments by showing that the premises and conclusion have the same extension. It is also used to simplify complex logical expressions by replacing them with equivalent expressions that have a simpler form.

What is an example of the Extension Theorem in action?

An example of the Extension Theorem in action is the logical equivalence between the expressions "p ∧ q" and "q ∧ p". This can be proven by showing that they have the same extension, meaning they have the same truth values for all possible combinations of inputs.

Are there any limitations to the Extension Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the Extension Theorem. It can only be applied to expressions that are logically equivalent, meaning they have the same truth values. It cannot be used to prove the validity of arguments that are based on false premises, as the conclusion may still be false even if the premises and conclusion have the same extension.