Logical diode circuit description

In summary, the circuit shown is a logic circuit with an AND gate on the left side. The purpose of the two diodes in series and the pull down resistor is to prevent a progressive change in logic voltages when cascading multiple elements. The output V_o depends on the inputs IN1, IN2, and IN3, which can be either logic LO (0V) or logic HI (V_{cc}). To determine the states of conduction in each diode for every combination of inputs, further analysis of the circuit is needed.
pikminman

Homework Statement

i.imgur . com/tjtAC.png (Sorry! It's fine I promise!)

I was given this circuit and I need to know what exactly what kind of circuit it is. i.e. what kind of logical operation it performs. [itex]V_o[/itex] is the output. IN1, 2, 3 are the inputs. I need to know the states of conduction in each diode for every combination of the inputs. A logic LO input can be taken as 0v and HI can be taken as [itex]V_{cc}[/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the left hand side of the circuit looks like it's going to be an AND gate. I understand the reversed diodes and semi-understand the pull up resistor. But I have NO idea why there are two diodes in series, and I don't know why there is a pull down resistor. Help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't scrutinized this closely. But a good logic design would allow you to cascade an unlimited number of elements and not have it undergo a progressive change in logic voltages. That is, if logic 0 crept up as you progressed through one gate to another, you might find after passing through 7 or 8 gates instead of logic 0 being 0V it might have gone up in steps to become 5V.

What is a logical diode circuit description?

A logical diode circuit description is a way to represent the behavior of a diode in a circuit using logical symbols and expressions. It helps to analyze and understand the function of a diode in a circuit.

How is a diode represented in a logical circuit description?

In a logical diode circuit description, a diode is represented by a logical symbol with an arrow pointing towards the anode and a bar on the cathode side. This symbol indicates the direction of current flow through the diode.

What is the purpose of using logical diode circuit descriptions?

The purpose of using logical diode circuit descriptions is to simplify the analysis of complex circuits by representing diode behaviors using logical symbols and expressions. It also helps in predicting the behavior of a circuit without the need for detailed calculations.

How are logical diode circuit descriptions different from traditional circuit diagrams?

Logical diode circuit descriptions are different from traditional circuit diagrams as they focus on the logical behavior of the diode rather than the physical layout of the circuit. They use logical symbols and expressions to represent the behavior of the diode, while traditional circuit diagrams use symbols to represent the physical components in the circuit.

What are some common applications of logical diode circuit descriptions?

Logical diode circuit descriptions are commonly used in digital electronics, such as in logic gates and other digital circuits. They are also useful in understanding the behavior of diodes in power supplies, rectifiers, and other electronic devices.