1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logical diode circuit description

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i.imgur . com/tjtAC.png (Sorry! It's fine I promise!!)

I was given this circuit and I need to know what exactly what kind of circuit it is. i.e. what kind of logical operation it performs. [itex]V_o[/itex] is the output. IN1, 2, 3 are the inputs. I need to know the states of conduction in each diode for every combination of the inputs. A logic LO input can be taken as 0v and HI can be taken as [itex]V_{cc}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the left hand side of the circuit looks like it's going to be an AND gate. I understand the reversed diodes and semi-understand the pull up resistor. But I have NO idea why there are two diodes in series, and I don't know why there is a pull down resistor. Help would be much appreciated!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I haven't scrutinized this closely. But a good logic design would allow you to cascade an unlimited number of elements and not have it undergo a progressive change in logic voltages. That is, if logic 0 crept up as you progressed through one gate to another, you might find after passing through 7 or 8 gates instead of logic 0 being 0V it might have gone up in steps to become 5V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook