Logical Rational for spooky-action @ at distance

• Thread starter candymarie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics, particularly in terms of entanglement, is an emergent property of the mathematical structure of the theory. Further research into this structure and the concept of entanglement may provide more understanding of this phenomenon.
candymarie
Hello, this question is for anyone who is kind enough to shed some light.

I am not actually taking a physics class currently, but a philosophy of science course. One of the guest lecturers we've had this semester spoke on QM; EPR and Bells. My question is basically this, I am not doubting the probability shown, but I am just having a hard time believing that inanimate photons and protons are exhibiting behavior which can only be explained as of current as "psychic spooky action".

1.) What possible motivation or rational could there be for this to occur?

2.) Why is this phenomenon more notably present in small particles? What is the correlation if any.

Now, I say this out of complete incomprehension I'm sure, but my guts tell me there is something else that is either not being looked at or not being seen. I understand that as of current "we" do not have means to measure past 11 km, however; is that to say there is actually no connection between these particles because there is a measurement problem?

It just seems more rational (I know, what am I doing using THAT word) that either 1.) There is in fact a variable or 2.) That the photons and protons exhibiting this spooky communication are in fact connected in some way.

I am writing my final paper on Bell's, so I will be doing a lot of book hoping this week, however; I have found blogs to be beneficial as well, in the past.

Please feel free to enlighten my classical mind.

Candy Marie

Physics news on Phys.org
The motivation for this behavior is that it is an emergent property of the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics. It is an inherent feature of the probability wave functions that describe individual particles and of the laws of quantum mechanics that govern their interactions. This phenomenon is more notable in small particles because the wave functions that describe them are smaller and thus more sensitive to small changes. The idea that there is a variable that is not being looked at is likely correct, although it is difficult to say what that variable might be. However, we do know that the photons and protons exhibiting "spooky action" are connected in some way, as they are described by the same wave functions. In other words, the behavior of one particle can affect the behavior of another, even if they are separated by large distances. This is what is known as entanglement. In terms of further research, you may find it helpful to look into the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics and how it describes the behavior of particles. Additionally, exploring the concept of entanglement may yield some insight into the nature of this phenomenon.

Hello Candy Marie,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your skepticism towards the concept of "spooky-action at a distance" in quantum mechanics. It is a fascinating and complex topic that has been debated and studied for decades.

To address your first question, the rational behind this phenomenon lies in the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. According to the theory, particles can exist in a superposition, meaning they can be in multiple states simultaneously. This superposition collapses when the particle is observed or measured. This leads to the concept of entanglement, where two particles can become correlated even when separated by large distances. This correlation allows for the phenomenon of "spooky-action at a distance" where the state of one particle can affect the state of the other instantaneously, even if they are far apart.

As for your second question, this phenomenon is more notable in small particles because they are more susceptible to quantum effects. In larger objects, such as macroscopic objects, the effects of quantum mechanics are negligible. This is why we do not observe "spooky-action at a distance" in our everyday lives. The correlation between particles is due to their entanglement, which can occur during a physical interaction or decay process.

It is natural to question the validity of this phenomenon, especially when it goes against our classical understanding of the world. However, numerous experiments have been conducted that support the existence of entanglement and "spooky-action at a distance." This includes the famous Bell's inequality experiments, which have consistently shown that the correlations between entangled particles cannot be explained by any local hidden variables.

In conclusion, while it may seem irrational or even "spooky" at first, the phenomenon of "spooky-action at a distance" is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics that has been supported by numerous experiments. I encourage you to continue your research and explore the theories and experiments surrounding this topic. Good luck with your final paper!

Related to Logical Rational for spooky-action @ at distance

1. What is "spooky-action @ at distance" or quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement, also known as "spooky-action at a distance," is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles are created in such a way that their properties, such as spin or polarization, are dependent on each other. This means that if the state of one particle is measured, the state of the other particle will also be determined, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has significant implications for quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also challenges our understanding of cause and effect, as the state of one particle seems to be determined by the measurement of the other particle, even if they are separated by vast distances.

4. How does quantum entanglement relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein famously referred to quantum entanglement as "spooky-action at a distance," as it seemed to challenge his theory of relativity. However, quantum entanglement does not violate the theory of relativity, but rather demonstrates the strange and non-intuitive nature of quantum mechanics.

5. Is quantum entanglement a proven phenomenon?

Yes, quantum entanglement has been experimentally verified numerous times. The most famous experiment is the Bell test, which demonstrated that the predictions of quantum mechanics are correct and that quantum entanglement does indeed exist.