Long-term room-temp quantum entanglement achieved

In summary: Name]In summary, there has been a recent achievement in maintaining a quantum state for ~39 minutes, breaking the previous record and showing progress in the field of quantum computing. However, while this is a significant achievement, it does not necessarily mean that quantum computing will develop faster than predicted. There are ongoing challenges and limitations, but with continued research and advancements, the potential of quantum computing will be realized.
unusualname
(No post on this, so fyi in case you missed it)

Scientists have established a room-temperature quantum state for ~39 minutes, smashing the previous record and easily beating evolution (as far as we know)

They managed it a bit earlier than my prediction of ~2015, so I expect faster than predicted development of small qubit quantum computing now.

HOWEVER - I also predict that QC will not scale to more than a few hundreds of qubits - certainly not thousands - (because the superpositions are just a mathematical construct) - although large scale "messy" entanglements (which don't allow precise quantum computing algorithms to function) - can certainly persist

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for longer than this - and will be used to "cheat" and claim that larger scale quantum computing is possible.

Dear forum members,

As a scientist who specializes in quantum computing, I would like to address some of the points raised in this post. Firstly, I would like to congratulate the team who achieved the record for maintaining a quantum state for ~39 minutes. This is a significant achievement and shows great progress in the field of quantum computing.

However, I would like to clarify that quantum computing is not about beating evolution, as evolution is a natural process that has been occurring for billions of years. Quantum computing is a human-made technology that harnesses the principles of quantum mechanics to perform certain calculations faster than classical computers.

While the achievement of maintaining a quantum state for ~39 minutes is impressive, it does not necessarily mean that quantum computing will develop faster than predicted. The development of quantum computing relies on several factors, including advancements in technology and understanding of quantum mechanics.

Additionally, I disagree with the prediction that quantum computing will not scale to more than a few hundred qubits. This is because superposition and entanglement are not just mathematical constructs, but they have been observed and studied in numerous experiments. Furthermore, there are ongoing research and development efforts to improve the stability and scalability of qubits.

In conclusion, I believe that the recent achievement in maintaining a quantum state for ~39 minutes is a significant step towards the development of quantum computing. While there may be challenges and limitations, I am confident that with continued research and advancements, we will see the potential of quantum computing realized in the near future.

1. What is quantum entanglement and why is it important?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances. This is important because it allows for the possibility of instantaneous communication and secure information transfer, which has potential applications in fields such as cryptography and quantum computing.

2. How was long-term room-temp quantum entanglement achieved?

Long-term room-temp quantum entanglement was achieved by using a technique called "spin squeezing" to entangle the spins of two atoms. This technique involves manipulating the quantum states of the atoms using lasers and magnetic fields, and it allows for the entanglement to be maintained over a longer period of time.

3. What are the potential applications of this achievement?

This achievement has potential applications in fields such as quantum communication, quantum cryptography, and quantum computing. It could also lead to the development of new technologies and devices that rely on quantum entanglement for their functionality.

4. What are the challenges in achieving long-term room-temp quantum entanglement?

There are several challenges in achieving long-term room-temp quantum entanglement, such as maintaining the entangled state over long distances and minimizing the effects of environmental noise and interference. Additionally, the entangled particles must be kept at a stable temperature and in a controlled environment, which can be technically challenging.

5. What are the implications of this achievement for the future of quantum technology?

This achievement is a significant step towards the development of practical quantum technologies that can operate at room temperature. It also opens up new possibilities for quantum communication and computing, which could have a major impact on various industries and fields of research in the future.