Longest day of the year is June 21 but longest daylight is June 26?

• I
  • Thread starter gary350
  • Start date
gary350
TL;DR Summary
Longest day of the year is June 21 but longest daylight is June 26 ?????
I was reading a NASA web side where I can find angle of the sun and day length at my zip code. Longest day of the year is June 21 for 2 years then June 22 for 2 years, after leap year, longest day is June 21 again for 2 years. I already knew that. Then I see something I never saw before. If longest day is June 21 the longest amount of sunlight is 5 days later June 26. HOW is that possible? Is that a typing error? How can the longest day sun rise to sun set not be the longest amount of sunlight?

Physics news on Phys.org
"longest day"(northern hemisphere) and "most sunlight"(entire planet) are unrelated events. One is a result of axial tilt, the other the elliptical orbit around the Sun. [edit: and perihelion is in January so that's not it... @OP got a link ?]

Last edited:
Daylight arrives before sunrise and lasts after sunset.

There are many reasons why things are not as simple as they could be.

The date of the June solstice is an instant in the orbit of the Earth about the Sun, it usually falls on June 21 or 22, but for people in local time zones near the dateline it can be just outside that window.

The orbit of the Earth is slightly elliptical, and the solstices and equinoxes are defined by the Earth crossing 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° directions from the Sun to the vernal equinox reference direction, the line where the ecliptic intersects the celestial equator.

Sunrise and sunset are defined by any limb of the Sun being seen above the horizon. The Sun is half a degree across, and it takes four minutes for the Earth to rotate one degree, so the Sun rises on average 1 minute earlier and sets one minute later. The days must average at least 2 minutes longer than the nights. Refraction of sunlight from over the horizon, by the density variation of the atmosphere, increases the visibility, so can extend that longer day significantly.

The equation of time, shows that unexpected things can happen if your zip code is near the tropics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time
Near the solstice, the time of sunrise, and of sunset, are changing at the greatest rate, but in the same direction. That makes it interesting, if you estimate day length based only on either the time of sunrise or sunset.

So it depends on the exact wording of the statement, and your zip code, as to why there is a difference in the longest day and the solstice.

gary350 said:
TL;DR Summary: Longest day of the year is June 21 but longest daylight is June 26 ?????

I was reading a NASA web side where I can find angle of the sun and day length at my zip code.
Please reference the exact source so we can all view it!

1. Why is the longest day of the year on June 21?

The longest day of the year, also known as the summer solstice, falls on June 21 because it is the day when the Earth's axis is most tilted towards the sun. This results in the sun appearing to be at its highest point in the sky and the longest duration of daylight for the northern hemisphere.

2. How is the longest daylight on June 26 different from the longest day of the year?

The longest daylight on June 26 refers to the day with the most hours of sunlight, while the longest day of the year refers to the day with the most hours of daylight. Daylight includes both direct sunlight and indirect light, while sunlight only refers to direct rays from the sun.

3. Why is there a difference between the longest day of the year and the longest daylight on June 26?

This difference is due to the Earth's elliptical orbit around the sun. The Earth's orbit is not a perfect circle, so there are times when it is closer or further away from the sun. This can cause a slight variation in the number of hours of daylight compared to the longest day of the year.

4. Is the longest day of the year always on June 21?

No, the longest day of the year can fall on either June 20, 21, or 22. This is because the Earth's orbit and tilt can vary slightly from year to year, causing the date of the summer solstice to shift.

5. Does the longest day of the year occur at the same time everywhere on Earth?

No, the longest day of the year occurs at different times depending on your location on Earth. This is because the Earth is divided into different time zones, and each time zone experiences the longest day at a different local time.