Longitudinal Waves: Do Devices Use AM or FM?

In summary: I'm not sure that that's what you're talking about. Tesla was working on a way to transmit electrical energy using longitudinal waves.
RyderP
Do longitudinal wave devices use AM or FM?

Physics news on Phys.org
Devices like surfers ? Please give a bit more context.

Longitudinal waves, the ones Nikola Tesla was working on, for superluminal power and communication.

RyderP said:
Longitudinal waves, the ones Nikola Tesla was working on, for superluminal power and communication.

Tesla was not working on superluminal anything. And electromagnetic waves are transverse waves, not longitudinal.
What does this have to do with science fiction writing and world building?

Likes BvU
I think someone else answered my question: it would have to be FM.

Thanks just the same, though.

RyderP said:
I think someone else answered my question: it would have to be FM.

I'm not sure that makes sense. As far as I'm aware, any type of wave can use Amplitude Modulation or Frequency Modulation.

I study a lot of "fringe physics," such as zero-point energy. I hope that would explain my question.

RyderP said:
I study a lot of "fringe physics," such as zero-point energy. I hope that would explain my question.

I can't say that it does.

I'm an amateur researcher, and writer of science fiction. Part of my work is studying more unorthodox views of science, such as Nikola Tesla and Robert T. Bakker.

That's nice, but what does it have to do with your question?

I've been sudying Tesla's work on something called a Teslascope or Tesla Set for interplanetary communication, in real time.

As long as it's a fictional device then you can discuss it here. If you're trying to develop this device in real life then you're going to have to take it elsewhere, as we stick to mainstream science here at PF. Personal theories and research that goes beyond the bounds of mainstream science are against PF rules.

Yes, it's for my writing - both for Geneon and for New Albion.

Alright then. Did you have a question relating to this device or anything?

How would a Tesla Set be possible?

I'm sorry I don't know what that is and google just gives me a bunch of info on Tesla Motors when I do a search.

A Tesla Set was an urban legend of a device that, in theory, provide real-time power and communications between worlds and systems.

Alright. Well, it's mostly up to you to determine how you want it to work. It can't work in real life obviously, so you don't need to worry about trying to be too technically accurate.

RyderP said:
A Tesla Set was an urban legend of a device that, in theory, provide real-time power and communications between worlds and systems.
I think you mean Tesla's world system which was based on his invention named wireless aka one wire transmission of electrical energy. You can read about this in his patents and lectures.

1. What are longitudinal waves?

Longitudinal waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels in the same direction as the disturbance or vibration that created it. Examples of longitudinal waves include sound waves and seismic waves.

2. What is the difference between AM and FM waves?

AM (amplitude modulation) and FM (frequency modulation) are two types of electromagnetic waves used for communication. The main difference between them is that AM waves vary in amplitude while FM waves vary in frequency.

3. Which devices use AM waves?

AM waves are commonly used in radio broadcasting, where the amplitude of the wave is varied to carry the audio signal. They are also used in some radar systems and for long-distance communication.

4. Which devices use FM waves?

FM waves are used in commercial radio broadcasting, where the frequency of the wave is varied to carry the audio signal. They are also used in television broadcasting, satellite communication, and some radar systems.

5. How do devices use AM or FM waves?

Devices use AM or FM waves by converting the audio signal into electromagnetic waves and then modulating either the amplitude or frequency of the wave to carry the signal. The receiver then demodulates the wave to retrieve the original signal.