Looking for a basic Combinatorics text

I need to know this subject for my uni access exam, which will include one combinatorics problem. It's not studied in the course, but instead we are given random problems and expected to know them. I don't have the time to waste inventing formulas for problems like how many people shake hands. I'll have to read it in my free time after I finish my other heavy coursework, so I only need a light overview with definitions and interesting problems. In summary, the subject of combinatorics is necessary for a uni access exam and involves solving random problems without the time to fully study the field. A light overview with definitions and interesting problems is all that is needed.
PhysicsLad
I need to know this subject for my uni access exam, which will include one combinatorics problem.

It's very silly because it's not studied in the course at all, you are instead given random problems and are supposed to magically know them and work them out in the most painful ways. I just don't have the physical time to waste it inventing formulas for how many lads shake hands (I wish I did because it's an interesting field)

It's going to be something I'll read on my 'free' time after I've done my Maths, Physics and Chemistry work so it has to be as light of a read as possible. I'm not looking for a deep treatment with proofs. Definitions here and there and interesting problems is all I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mate

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way.

2. Why is combinatorics important?

Combinatorics is important because it provides a foundation for understanding and solving problems in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and engineering. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as in creating efficient schedules or designing codes and passwords.

3. What are the basic principles of combinatorics?

The basic principles of combinatorics include permutations, combinations, and the principle of inclusion-exclusion. These principles help us count the number of ways in which objects or events can be arranged or combined.

4. What topics should a basic combinatorics text cover?

A basic combinatorics text should cover topics such as basic counting principles, permutations and combinations, binomial coefficients, inclusion-exclusion principle, and basic graph theory. It should also include examples and exercises to reinforce understanding.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning combinatorics?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks for learning combinatorics, including "A Walk Through Combinatorics" by Miklos Bona, "Combinatorics: A Guided Tour" by David Mazur, and "Introduction to Combinatorics" by Martin J. Erickson and Anthony V. Hill. It is best to choose a textbook that aligns with your level of mathematical background and learning style.