Looking for a proof using matrices

In summary, if AB is invertible, it can be proven that both A and B are also invertible. This can be shown by using the fact that a matrix X is not invertible if and only if there is a nonzero vector v such that Xv=0. By considering different scenarios where either A or B is not invertible, it can be concluded that if either A or B is not invertible, then AB is also not invertible. This completes all possible ways to prove this problem.
Bachelier
A,B are nxn. If AB is invertible. Show that A and B are invertible.

I know how to prove it by determinant, using linear transformations and contradictions.
I am looking for a direct way using a proof by matrices. Can anyone think of one?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
AB is invertible so there exist a matrix C such that

I = (AB)C = A(BC)

so A is invertible and A-1 = BC.

Try B yourself.

I thought about that but I thought it looked too simple.
Thanks. I think this completes all possible ways to prove this problem.
Take a look at my Challenge problem. :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=444941"

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another way if you know that a matrix X is not invertible is equivalent to saying that there is a nonzero vector v such that Xv=0.

Then suppose B is not invertible with Bv=0. Then AB is not invertible since ABv=0. Now, suppose B is invertible but A is not invertible with Av=0. Then ABB^-1 v = 0.

It follows that if A or B are not invertible then AB is not invertible.

arkajad said:
There is another way if you know that a matrix X is not invertible is equivalent to saying that there is a nonzero vector v such that Xv=0.

Then suppose B is not invertible with Bv=0. Then AB is not invertible since ABv=0. Now, suppose B is invertible but A is not invertible with Av=0. Then ABB^-1 v = 0.

It follows that if A or B are not invertible then AB is not invertible.

Good one.

1. How can I use matrices to prove a mathematical statement?

Matrices can be used to prove a mathematical statement by representing the statement as a system of linear equations and then solving for the unknown variables. The solution to the system of equations can be represented as a matrix, which can then be used to prove the statement.

2. What are the steps for using matrices to prove a statement?

The steps for using matrices to prove a statement are: 1. Write the statement as a system of linear equations. 2. Represent the system of equations as a matrix. 3. Use row operations to simplify the matrix. 4. Solve for the unknown variables. 5. Use the solution to prove the statement.

3. Can matrices be used to prove all mathematical statements?

No, matrices can only be used to prove statements that can be represented as a system of linear equations. They cannot be used to prove statements that involve non-linear equations or inequalities.

4. Are there any limitations to using matrices to prove statements?

One limitation of using matrices to prove statements is that the solution may not always be unique. This can lead to multiple possible solutions or no solution at all. Additionally, matrices may not be the most efficient method for proving certain statements and may require advanced knowledge of matrix operations.

5. Can matrices be used to prove statements in all fields of science?

Yes, matrices can be used to prove statements in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are a powerful tool for solving systems of equations and can be applied to many different types of problems.